PDA

View Full Version : Leader 3/16 stubbies popping off

markcasper
03-14-2018, 10:32 PM
I am thoroughly disgusted with Leaders 3/16 stubbies!!!!! I have went out twice in the last 2 days to find 20 - 30 pushed off the checkvalves each day. What a joke!! The new clear checkvalves bottom out where you can literally have a 1 year old pull them off. Most of the ones I have are attached to the black checkvalves which are a little bit tighter, but not much.

Also had several lines pull apart at the T's. Who was doing the manufacture of such a defective product. Never seen anything so stupid in my life!

Going to go around all 130 of them tonight and pound them in. What a waste of sap and labor! It'll be the same thing again tomorrow if I don't. Obviously whats happening is the trees are still running when it freezes up and guess what gives?

maple flats
03-15-2018, 08:27 AM
Call Leader, they may have had a bad batch, maybe they can solve the issue. If you just complain to us, it will not solve the issue.

S.S.S
03-15-2018, 08:36 AM
I run Lapierre stubbys on clear check valves but they are 5/16 and haven't had a issue yet.

motowbrowne
03-15-2018, 09:38 AM
This doesn't solve the problem, but I was really happy to see that leader had put out a 3/16 CV tap. I was planning on running stubbies and adapters, but especially after hearing of your experience Mark, I'm glad I didn't!

markcasper
03-15-2018, 10:04 AM
This doesn't solve the problem, but I was really happy to see that leader had put out a 3/16 CV tap. I was planning on running stubbies and adapters, but especially after hearing of your experience Mark, I'm glad I didn't!

I went around and re hammered them all, will see what happens. I used the same procedure when tapping on these as the 5/16" and never have had them pop off. The change from a circular end to a "maple leaf" design is hard on the fingers. The clear CV's are what really scare me going onto these 3/16" stubbies. They bottom out and they are still loose. I only have 7 a few of the clears on to try them.

markcasper
05-14-2018, 01:15 AM
Hard to believe nobody else had any issues with these? They all need to go in the trash!! Still pulling taps and flushing lines. I had these pop out multiple times some of them. After spending numerous trips to the 3/16" patch to repound, reset, what have you this season, now they are very hard to get apart. Two pliars minimum is required, band aids and salve and a Bible to remind me to ask forgiveness for all of the swearing and cussing. After I get done with them, it looks like a bear had gotten a hold of them. Cannot believe they went from a round design to a maple leaf design that isn't anything close to the circular jaws of a pliars! My 10 year old son just shook his head when he was trying to help. I said don't worry, if a 43 year old man can't get them apart, I expect nothing from you. I sent him home. What a joke! Leader will be hearing from me!

GeneralStark
05-14-2018, 09:21 PM
The question is.... why would anyone use a "stubby"?

mountainvan
05-15-2018, 01:51 PM
I use stubbies and antimicrobial adapters for the ease of putting in a new spout each year, and the increased yield.

markcasper
05-15-2018, 03:15 PM
The question is.... why would anyone use a "stubby"?

Not sure where this will lead if I were to answer your question?.........

treehugger89
05-23-2018, 06:12 AM
Markcasper- I too have had the same problem with leader's 3/16 tubing. The line would just pull off of taps and tees. Only had it for 2 years. Decided to junk the tubing and keep taps and tees. Very disappointed with leader's tubing.