PDA

View Full Version : raisable grates

maplekid
07-13-2007, 07:32 PM
does any body know if they make raiseble grates. i would think that it would put more haet agianst the bottom of the pan and reduce the amount of wood used.if no one makes them i am going to try to make a set of them.

thenewguy
07-13-2007, 09:57 PM
MK, in order for a fire to survive you need oxygen. Someone please correct me if im wrong. I don't think it would work, if you raised your fire towards the bottom of the pan your removing surface volume and "heat space" that your evaporator needs to run hot and change the physical properties of liquid sap. it would act as a smothering effect on your fire, as because you are decreasing the amount of oxygen in the fire box that you need to support combustion. as well probably ruin your draft also. I think it would act as a "choke" on your fire... Excatley how close to plan on "raising" your fire to the bottom on the pan?? Anyone else think I'm in the outfield here?

Pete33Vt
07-14-2007, 04:34 AM
You are pretty much right on. To have a good boil your fire needs to be able to burn all the gases coming from your wood. If you put your fire to close to the bottom of your pans you will not get good combustion. It will not save you any wood. Your best bet is to use the correct grates, split your wood pretty fine and fire often with a small amount of wood. Also crisscrossing your wood to allow air and gases to mix works pretty good.

802maple
07-14-2007, 11:03 AM
Pete is right on. If you want to increase your boil add forced air especially over the fire

Breezy Lane Sugarworks
07-14-2007, 09:18 PM
YUP!! my firebox is roughly 2/3 of the length of the pans. BUT I probably run as much or a tiny bit less wood in there than most 2.5x8 rigs to allow for combustion.

doocat
07-20-2007, 04:31 PM
What would be the correct way to add forced air above the fire?

Pete33Vt
07-21-2007, 04:38 AM
with a rig such as an intensofire, with these the air forced froma blower goes through pipes in the doors and is forced into the top of the fire box. Also there are pipes in the back of the fire box which force air from the back to the front.This creates a circle affect on the gases in the fire box.Also adds more oxegen