PDA

View Full Version : Batch vs continues

Millwright
03-14-2018, 11:40 AM
I currently boil batche of 100-125 gals at a time. I am thinking of trying a continuos flow I have a 2 by 4 flat pan with no dividers. I can usually do from 12 -15 gph any advice or comments? Thanks.

maple flats
03-14-2018, 11:53 AM
In order to boil continuous you will need to add dividers in your pan, 3 or 4 suggested. Then you would do best if you made a way to feed it as the sap boils down, intermittent refilling is not going to do the same thing. Try for something with a valve you can adjust to match the boil rate.

Big_Eddy
03-14-2018, 12:09 PM
Millwright
You need to tell us more about your operation and size.
A few key notes though.
Continuous flow will not evaporate sap faster than batch boiling will.
Continuous is only beneficial if you can leave sap / syrup in a sweetened pan and then boil regularly as sap is collected (daily).
Continuous is only suitable if you have enough taps to be able to boil several hours x several times a week. For a 2x4 flat, that would be ~50 taps. Given you boil 100-150 gallons at a time - that sounds about right.
In addition to dividers, continuous requires an outlet on your pan, along with a way to add sap gradually at the "other end"
Typically, continuous flow requires more attention. You're always boiling "almost syrup", unlike a batch boil where the first several hours you're "watching water boil". Even 5 minutes inattention can result in a disaster.

sbedilion
03-14-2018, 12:30 PM
this is a good discussion. I have a 3x4 flat pan. Boil 120-150 gallons at a time (2-3 times a week during peak season). Looking at this forum...it "appears" the next step up would be doing continuous. However...I think batch boiling is where I want to stay. I have 2 kids in grade school and work 8-4. In the evening I can fire up.....get boiling....and just add wood every 15 mins. I can sit and watch tv with the kids and check the boiling during commercials or help the kids with homework. Plus, if my son has bball practice, I can flood the pan and buy myself an hour or so of downtime. At this point in my life I can't sit by the fire all day.

Soo...basically it probably depends on your current life style and freedom.

I think my next step is a RO system and a preheater 1x4 pan. am i correct?

Sugarmaker
03-14-2018, 12:41 PM
this is a good discussion. I have a 3x4 flat pan. Boil 120-150 gallons at a time (2-3 times a week during peak season). Looking at this forum...it "appears" the next step up would be doing continuous. However...I think batch boiling is where I want to stay. I have 2 kids in grade school and work 8-4. In the evening I can fire up.....get boiling....and just add wood every 15 mins. I can sit and watch tv with the kids and check the boiling during commercials or help the kids with homework. Plus, if my son has bball practice, I can flood the pan and buy myself an hour or so of downtime. At this point in my life I can't sit by the fire all day.

Soo...basically it probably depends on your current life style and freedom.

I think my next step is a RO system and a preheater 1x4 pan. am i correct?

Skys the limit on next steps!

Faster boiling rate usually means more time at the rig during boiling. R.O. can mean shorter boiling cycles but more syrup each boil, meaning more time at the evaporator during the boil. In my case I dont leave the rig unattended for more than a few minutes at the most. Things happen too fast. Remember your only 20 seconds away from disaster!:)
Regards,
Chris

Millwright
03-14-2018, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the reply’s I have a 2by 2 preheated which runs at 200 plus degrees and I feed the main pan by an adjustable valve and a draw off valve on opposite end of big pan. I figured I would have to add dividers of some sort

mol1jb
03-14-2018, 09:36 PM
I batch boiled last year and continous boil this year. What Eddy said is right on. Not one is better than the other. My new rig is a 2x6 and I really like the continous flow. Drawing syrup off the evaporator is great. But the relax of batch boiling I do miss. It comes down to preference in the end.

Millwright
03-15-2018, 08:04 AM
Probably stay with what I’m doing, usually I’m by myself when cooking and I’ve been doing it this way for 25 years with no big problems. Thanks for the input

maple flats
03-15-2018, 09:18 AM
One advantage that usually can come with continuous boil is lighter syrup, if you want lighter.
I you are more like what most of my customers ask for, you can then either sell the lighter or trade for dark or you can blend light with darker for dark. I do the latter. My sales of Golden are so low that I don't even pack it anymore, I just save it and blend a little very dark in to make amber or dark. If you try that, add very little of the darker at a time, the color changes a lot with just a little of the darker.