PDA

View Full Version : Buddy syrup

tbear
03-12-2018, 08:41 PM
Could i use buddy syrup to make sugar or would the sugar taste bad? Thanks, Ted

Sugarmaker
03-12-2018, 08:54 PM
I think the flavor may still be in the sugar but I have never tried it? Let us know.
Regards,
Chris

lew
03-12-2018, 10:40 PM
If you have an off flavor in your syrup, the sugar you make from it will have an even more pronounced off flavor because you have concentrated it.

DrTimPerkins
03-13-2018, 07:43 AM
Could i use buddy syrup to make sugar

Yes.

or would the sugar taste bad?

Yes.

tbear
03-13-2018, 09:14 AM
When I think of buddy syrup I imagine a very DARK syrup. Could buddy syrup be AMBER?

littleTapper
03-13-2018, 09:19 AM
When I think of buddy syrup I imagine a very DARK syrup. Could buddy syrup be AMBER?

Yup. I've got some light, just ever so slightly buddy syrup from last year. I have been making sugar with it; and the flavor is still there, but it's still useful in things like pancake and waffle batter, and chocolate chip cookies - where other flavors are stronger. Slowly will use it up. I hate to waste.

Ed R
03-13-2018, 09:53 AM
I used some of mine that had a metabolic off taste that wasn't buddy in maple mustard. The tartness masked the off flavor completely. Buddy syrup would probably work good too.

Helicopter Seeds
03-13-2018, 07:54 PM
Wondering if I ever encounter that, I would hate to waste it, but I would not put my name on bad tasting stuff. If just a little off, then maybe as suggested it could be hidden within other flavors. Maybe infusing vanilla, berries or something would do the trick. Also wondering about throwing it into a batch of beer to ferment. If it was buddy and bitter, it may work well with the hops anyways. I have read though, that maple sugars ferment like cane sugar and in general is not great for beer.

tbear
03-13-2018, 08:18 PM
Okay, what causes the trees to break bud or go from good syrup to bad buddy syrup. Not chemically within the tree but the external forces. Is it the daylight getting longer? The temperature? A combination of the two? Ted

DrTimPerkins
03-13-2018, 09:07 PM
Okay, what causes the trees to break bud or go from good syrup to bad buddy syrup. Not chemically within the tree but the external forces. Is it the daylight getting longer? The temperature? A combination of the two? Ted

All three.

tbear
03-14-2018, 07:39 AM
Thanks, would colder than normal temperatures slow down the process? Significantly? Ted

DrTimPerkins
03-14-2018, 08:33 AM
Given that one of the controlling factors is temperature, then yes.

tbear
03-16-2018, 09:14 AM
Thanks everyone for helping me gain a clearer picture of buddy syrup. Allow me to beat this horse one more time, if I'm boiling buddy sap/syrup I'll definitely know it. Correct? Thanks again, Ted

DrTimPerkins
03-16-2018, 09:26 AM
... if I'm boiling buddy sap/syrup I'll definitely know it. Correct?

Yes, unless you have no sense of smell or taste whatsoever.

tbear
03-16-2018, 10:20 AM
Good. I surround myself with people who smell good and have good taste! Thanks, Ted