PDA

View Full Version : crazy year

slammer3364
03-12-2018, 12:22 PM
I tapped Feb 17 so far I got 35 gals. of sap. The temps have been border line but no runs. Talked to a man last week had a run in one place but not where we both have taps. I am in Elk county Pa. Anyone else with this dilema. I have about 100 taps out,same trees I always tap,mostly reds.:(:(

lords sugaring
03-12-2018, 01:51 PM
I'm further north up here in NH. My season is not going so hot either. Collected 100 gallons of sap and I tapped right before valentines day. Have about another 40ish in the buckets to go collect. Reds just don't like to produce on gravity that much. Have run into similar in my few years of sugaring, hopefully hooking up a vacuum system for next season. I've ran my new evaporator once for about 2 hours so not to thrilled about that considering it was a boat load of money. Hopefully things pick up and good luxk

chuckwagon
03-12-2018, 03:00 PM
I'm in Northeast pa, it's been pretty cold here but we did have some days near 40, I thought it would of ran the last 2 days but I was fooled, last week was 20 s at night low 30 in day didn't think it would run but I checked my buckets to my surprise they were near full. im only a back yard tapper with buckets. I guess it will run when it's ready, I don't know enough about it to guess what causes it.

bigschuss
03-12-2018, 03:28 PM
I'm in the Northwest corner of Massachusetts. I tapped about 3 weeks ago and could not keep up with the sap flows. Made more syrup than I have ever made so far at this point. Two Nor-easters and 48" of snow later and things have shut down! Got another 12" or so coming tomorrow. But man, when the temps. warm and the trees begin flowing again I think it's going to be great.

chuckwagon
03-12-2018, 04:41 PM
We are getting snow now from that noreaster only supposed to get 4 or 5 inches from this one, supposed to get near 50 starting sat. Hopefully that will get them dripping, no sap today either.

Ntatar
03-12-2018, 06:51 PM
Greater Boston area. Pushing 2-3 gallons a day per tap/bucket the last few days. unreal

Kevinco
03-12-2018, 09:11 PM
I'm in the Finger Lakes 2000 ft elevation. Tapped Feb 20& 24th. Put in 50 new taps on 3/16th and got 100 gallons one day.....Then it snowed. Have not gotten a drop since March 1st. Our temps are pretty steady 20-34 for going on 2 weeks. Tapped 25 buckets this weekend. Trudging up and down steep hills in 2 feet of snow is great excercise but not what was planned. Forecast is for 45 this weekend. I have 200 gallons of frozen sap in barrels. How long will my ice cubes be good. Can't wait for the thaw and run.

HannahL
03-13-2018, 06:00 AM
Same scenario in Michigan, the first run was phenomenal! Made more syrup in the first 10-14 days of the season than I will all of most seasons. Collected 430 gallons and made 9 gallons of very tasty syrup off about 35 taps on gravity. However, the cold front come through week and half ago and we have yet to see 35 again. I did get some flow over the weekend when the sun come out but we don't see much sun consistently due to the lakes. Calling for mid 40's this weekend and high pressure so hopefully we will be boiling again but then it's supposed to cool back to the 30's for the highs next week. My fear is the weather will break and decide to warm up all at once and stay there making a short season. Only time will tell, either way it's a hell of good time!

Russell Lampron
03-13-2018, 07:20 AM
It's been an up and down season here too. I boiled last night for the first time since last Wednesday. I tapped on 2/10 and 2/11 and finished tapping on 2/17. I made 47.5 gallons in February boiling 2 or 3 times a week. I've boiled 4 times in March and have made 44.5 gallons so far. Last season I made 49 gallons in February, 67.5 gallons in March and 67 gallons in April. Up here March is the month to make syrup. The runs have been sporadic but the gallons are adding up and I'm half way to my goal of 184 gallons which I made last year.

About 90% of my taps are reds and I have them on high vacuum. Last Friday and Saturday were pretty slow because of last weeks Nor'easter but Sunday and Monday were good and it looks like this week is going to be more of the same. When the sap decides to run it gushes. I haven't had a day that was much over 40* since a 70* day last month. Vacuum has saved or made my season every year since I added it in 2005. If you're tapping reds it's a must have!

Ntatar
03-16-2018, 05:52 AM
This second nor'easter has been amazing in my area (15 miles west of Boston). Collecting 2.5 gallons per tap in buckets this last week. Looks like another good 10 days coming too.

chuckwagon
03-16-2018, 03:41 PM
Another noreaster coming hear Tues into Wednesday probably hit you sometime later in the week.

Ntatar
03-21-2018, 07:08 AM
Sap flow late last week on the newly taped Sugar maples was strong but flow has really slowed down despite conditions that seem to be good on the surface :-( Wondering if that 3-4 days of 10 degree nights has set the trees back and they need 3-4 days to get going again... always something!