PDA

View Full Version : Light Syrup

Chris L
03-12-2018, 09:18 AM
Second year sapper here. 30 taps on buckets and gravity lines. 2.5-3.0 sap and ALWAYS delicate. Seems i have a problem some people would like to have. 4 gallons and counting. 18103

nasion
03-12-2018, 11:11 AM
Oooo lookin' sharp! Enjoy your bounty and good luck with the rest of the season!

Run Forest Run!
03-12-2018, 11:36 AM
Lovely syrup Chris. Keep us updated on your progress through the season!

red dorakeen
03-12-2018, 12:12 PM
All I'm getting this year is dark. I could use some of that beautiful light to blend with mine.

Actually I'm content with the dark, (it just doesn't look as nice).

Flavor is great though.

Gord
03-12-2018, 12:52 PM
I had light at the beginning of the season, then it turned dark. With this last cold spell, I tapped some new trees, and am back to light again.
I am also on my 2nd year, and having a lot of fun!
Buckets only. No lines yet...

Helicopter Seeds
03-14-2018, 08:24 PM
When I built my brick arch I sized it for five deep pans, then added the 18 x 48 evaporator in place of four of them. I used the front spot as a preheater and scooped from there into the evaporator. Front pan is not as hot since that is close to the air source. So this year I am trying to just use the slow evaporation, sometimes gentle boiling of the front pan as a separate batch- low and slow. just keep adding. Unfortunately I let it get a bit to hot, it did not burn but it was probably getting sugary temperature levels, so I dumped it into the evaporator and started another batch. I will probably only get a gallon this way but really curious on the experiment if it ends up lighter due to less boiling time.