PDA

View Full Version : sugarhouse ants

cncaboose
07-11-2007, 11:59 AM
I didn't know where to start this thread so put it here. I've got small, 3-4mm, dark ants that are apparently chewing galleries in a couple of rafters in my new, Fall '06, sugarhouse. They have left significant piles of fine sawdust below their principle worksites. They are not carpenter ants. I know my bugs from being an entomology major in college, and can't even find these guys in my text references. Have any of you had this type of ant infestation and how did you deal with them? I am using conventional ant bait containers, put out 11 days ago, which they seem only remotely interested in. While there are significant numbers of dead ants now and the sawdust accumulation is slowing, there are still a fair number of them cruising around. Any suggestions? Thanks, Ian

Fred Henderson
07-11-2007, 07:36 PM
Ian, I have had the same problem for a few years now. I just keep spraying the effected area whenever I happen to think of it with ant and roach spray. I don't not know how to get rid of them for good. We have used powdered boric aicd in and around our house with good results but I think that in the house I am dealing with a different kind of ant.

TapME
07-11-2007, 09:07 PM
If they make sawdust and tunnel in the wood I call them carpenter ants. Being in the const. industry for many years, my sugestion is call the Orkin guy and see what he recomends and then try it yourself. Spreading a good killer around the outside of the sugar shack may help in the future. good luck.

maple flats
07-12-2007, 06:54 PM
Capture a few without damaging them and send them to your state co op extention for positive ID and recommended control. I think they might be a type of carpenter ant or termite but they should be able to postively ID the critters.

Fred Henderson
07-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Dave, Now that is a great idea. I will work on that tomorrow.