PDA

View Full Version : storage tank/trailer combo

thenewguy
07-10-2007, 01:14 PM
I was out and about the other day and found that a neiborough of mine (ex sugarer) has an older milk tank mounted to a trailer that they used for collecting. I looked inside (to find a few hornent and bees nest) and it seems fairly clean. its been sitting outside for a few years now and hasn't been used to collecting for some time. The stainless looks ok, but has a few almost looks like rust stains inside. i'm sure they probably would scrub off. one small insection cover is missing off the top allowing some water in. Still think this would be o.k. for a storage/collecting tank? Its an ideal setup, has a fitting in the bottom where
you can hook a pump onto, and a frame built into the trailer to support a pump. Would anyone think against using a an older milk tank that has been sitting outside for a while?? did the ever use lead in the soldering of milk tanks?? thanks for the input.

Mike
07-10-2007, 04:44 PM
I use a 600 gal tank on a trailer....works great....If ya dont want it let me know...Id be interested in it.....

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
07-10-2007, 08:58 PM
Either way, it's just for gathering and you are not going to be leaving sap in it very long anyway.

thenewguy
07-11-2007, 01:05 PM
thanks, I was thining along the same lines. Its just gonna get used for collecting anyways. The only thing I had in question was the fact there has been some stagnet water sitting in it. I'm sure it would be fine after a good cleaning and scrubbing, What would good to clean something like this? Also Does everyone clean there gathering/storage tanks and the end and beginning of each year?? I do, you just never know what has been crawling around inside them in the off season....

Mike
07-11-2007, 10:21 PM
Id use bleach and water to clean it out.....Just make sure you have enough vehicle to pull it....How many gallons is it??

Homestead Maple
07-13-2007, 10:01 AM
I have a 1,000 gal.+ stainless gathering tank that I pull with a 3/4 ton pkup. The trailer is dual axle, electric brakes.

thenewguy
07-13-2007, 11:41 AM
I'm going to guess the tank is around 600 gallons, its fairly short. Its has a single flip up hinged top. I'm guessing that around 250 to 300 bucks will buy it. As I mentioned earlier it has been sitting outside for quite some time, probaby will need a new set of tires. Ive got all sorts of options to pull, however I do like to use my 1951 John Deere 40 rowcrop, or I've got use to my fathers 165 or 245 Massey.

Grade "A"
07-13-2007, 07:24 PM
I think your John Deere would be a good choise. 600 gallons of sap is about 4800 pounds. I find that most vehicles will pull alot more than they can stop, and trying to stop a tank full of sap (or worse a half tank full of sap sloshing around) can be quite the job. If $250-$300 will buy it I would take it. I got $230 for a junk 200 gallon ss bulk tank at a scrap yard. Stainless is the new gold!

thenewguy
07-13-2007, 10:03 PM
I'm not sure about south of the border, but up here the price of scrap is through the roof. A buddy of mine has a flat bed truck and took a big load of scrap restaurant stainless to Toronto for scrap. I'm not sure on the excat tonnage he had on or the quality of steel, but he brought a cheque back for $10,000 canadian....