PDA

View Full Version : length of wood

Whippieej
03-10-2018, 04:55 PM
i have a 3x10 raised flue, what would be to length of wood to use?

Bricklayer
03-10-2018, 05:34 PM
I have a way smaller evaporator then a 3x10 but I cut my wood so that it will fit from back of firebox to front of door without touching. And I cut about half my wood at 20".About the size of the width of my firebox. I alternate my stacking while I fire. So I give it a little wrist turn when I'm loading and the wood sits the other way. I find the air gets through the wood better and stays hotter. Same concept should work for a larger evaporator.

Haynes Forest Products
03-10-2018, 06:49 PM
Speed is the name of the firing game. You want to get back up to speed ASAP. Now smothering your fire packing bit in so tight that there is no natural draft isn't helpful either. Depending on the length of the firebox/combustion chamber is the best length. Only you know what works best with the length of you wood. When I see guys Dinking around building the proper fire the whole time the pans are cooling off. I say pack it full and get the door closed quick.

Russell Lampron
03-10-2018, 07:10 PM
Your wood should be long enough to cover the grates. If your grates are 3' long you want to cut your wood 3' long as well.

motowbrowne
03-10-2018, 08:40 PM
Like Haynes says, door open, wood in, door shut ASAP! If you've got two doors only open one of them. My thought is that you can put 6 bigger pieces in faster than 12 small pieces. BUT, longer and smaller in diameter is a better way to achieve a big piece than short and chunky. You want maximum surface area. So, as long as you can fit (leaving a few inches to get the door closed), and split as small as you have patience for. I bought a 36" splitter this year to feed my 4x14, but in cutting everything at 32". That way if I run out of wood for my woodstove I can cut them in half.

maple flats
03-11-2018, 07:37 AM
My arch can fit 28" but I cut at 21-24", it loads faster for me, besides my Super Split is only for 24" max.

Whippieej
03-11-2018, 07:43 AM
thanks for the reply's. I am only getting @80 gal/hour with forced draft and hood.my wood is 20-23"(wood was cut for a 2x6).