PDA

View Full Version : 3/16 vs 5/16 w/ animal resilience?

mol1jb
03-09-2018, 08:04 PM
Hey all,

So I have had good results with my 3/16 lines this season, as long as I have been out in the bush every other day minimum. I have had mass animal chew and since I can't eliminate the culprits (on Park District grounds) I am looking for ideas help reduce the extreme maintenance I am doing on these lines regularly. Does 5/16 have a better resilience to animal chewing than 3/16? Changing out some parts of my 3/16 such as drops would be an easy way to reduce points of maintenance, that is if 5/16 holds up better. Thanks for the help.

Sugarmaker
03-09-2018, 08:26 PM
No. Squirrels love 5/16 too! Someone makes a protective covering for tubing.
Regards,
Chris

wurmdert
03-09-2018, 08:36 PM
For what its worth I have seen less chews in my bush with the Leader semi-rigid compared to the softer stuff by leader and other companies. I would say 9 out of 10 chews in my bush on soft flexible stuff. Maybe its just a coincidence. :confused:

mol1jb
03-10-2018, 06:38 AM
For what its worth I have seen less chews in my bush with the Leader semi-rigid compared to the softer stuff by leader and other companies. I would say 9 out of 10 chews in my bush on soft flexible stuff. Maybe its just a coincidence. :confused:

I currently have all Leader 30-P 3/16

wurmdert
03-10-2018, 06:53 AM
I currently have all Leader 30-P 3/16

Well there goes that theory lol lol

wnybassman
03-10-2018, 07:00 AM
Well there goes that theory lol lol

Well, if that's all there is out there then they will chew. Should buy some flexible stuff and make a few dummy runs to keep the critters busy :D

maple flats
03-10-2018, 07:44 AM
We use a super hot sauce spray, mix it with water and spray the tubing where animals can get at it. That seems to stop them. We had to respray after about 2-3 good rains. Once they get some of that the tubing is safe. What we used even brought tears to those who like real spicy foods, that's when we decided to try it. Most generally we just spray the areas where the tubing is against the trees, both maples and other support trees. I'll try to get the name, it came from my brother in law. He and one son like real spicy hot food, but neither of them could take this one. You will need to wear rubber gloves to handle the tubing after that until it has had 10 or so days of rain on it.

mol1jb
03-10-2018, 08:34 AM
We use a super hot sauce spray, mix it with water and spray the tubing where animals can get at it. That seems to stop them. We had to respray after about 2-3 good rains. Once they get some of that the tubing is safe. What we used even brought tears to those who like real spicy foods, that's when we decided to try it. Most generally we just spray the areas where the tubing is against the trees, both maples and other support trees. I'll try to get the name, it came from my brother in law. He and one son like real spicy hot food, but neither of them could take this one. You will need to wear rubber gloves to handle the tubing after that until it has had 10 or so days of rain on it.

That would be super helpful. Thanks Dave.

dogpatch
03-11-2018, 07:24 PM
I am in the same situation as is many others with squirrel damage. The super hot spray is sure something to look into.