PDA

View Full Version : Maple factoids needed

Kettle Ridge
03-07-2018, 04:23 PM
We tap trees alongside a public hiking trail and have started attaching cards to the end drops, each card containing some sort of tidbit about maple sugaring, e.g. it takes 40 gallons of sap to make one gallon of maple syrup blah blah. The idea is to explain what hikers are seeing in the tapped sugarbush and to generate some added interest in maple syrup and the maple industry. If you have any good factoids, we would love to consider them for the cards. Or if you know of a good online source, that would also be appreciated (but only if not copyright protected). Thanks very much!

SeanD
03-07-2018, 04:28 PM
A few years ago when I first put up tubing in a dense neighborhood I hung QR codes in ziplock bags that brought people to either my website or my FB page. You have a nice website that people would like. You could do that or direct them to the a factoid page when you find one.

Galena
03-07-2018, 04:33 PM
Dr Tim is a moderator here and an international authority on maples and every aspect of sugaring. He would have the most up to date info for you.

ETA: I know they teach the 40:1 rule still, but in reality it's a ballpark figure and doesn't always apply...I've seen a few heartbreaking posts where people are getting hundreds of litres of sap but such a low sugar content that they are boiling between 50:1 to 70:1. And at the other end of the spectrum, my ratio is a consistent 37:1.

ecolbeck
03-07-2018, 05:04 PM
The Massachusetts maple association has a list of facts about maple and I would bet that other state producer’s associations do as well.

Kettle Ridge
03-08-2018, 05:45 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. That massmaple.org site has some very interesting discussions and will help answer many of the questions we get from people.