PDA

View Full Version : First Year Continuous Flow

hfmanifold
03-07-2018, 02:58 PM
This year I upgraded from a stockpot rocketstove at 1-2 gph to a 2x4 with AUF at 8-10 gph. it took me about 120 gallons to sweeten the pans (i run a little deeper due to draw off valve) to begin this season but now when i draw off, my syrup has a ton of niter and is very dark. I did draw off some early in the year about 214 degrees and finished on propane stove and was a nice amber color but now i am drawing off at 218 degrees and it is very dark.

What could i be doing wrong? is this normal for the extent of time is was over heat? sap was slightly cloudy but not to bad

Thanks for the help

Woodsrover
03-07-2018, 03:03 PM
It'll get dirtier and darker as the season goes. My early syrup was predictably light and very clean. Last two boils were predictably dark and very muddy. Just how it goes.....

hfmanifold
03-07-2018, 05:57 PM
Thanks for your input. I thought that might be the case. Last week we had a warm up and I was getting cloudy dirtier sap. Right now we have ideal running conditions and I am getting the best sap of the year.

If I just continue running evaporator with darker sap in it will my syrup lighten up as this new sap is at the draw off or should I drain the pan and refill and start new gradient with all clear fresh sap?

Mark79
03-09-2018, 12:43 PM

If this picture attaches correctly it shows the color difference just a few day's can make. I personally like the darker look better than the really light . Boiled the light top qt. on 3-2-18 and the darker 3-7-18 using a digital thermometer cutting heat down after two bounces from 218.9 to 219 then simmer 5 mins to thicken. Outside evaporating time 2 hours.

Hoping this weekends run maintains that same semi-dark color.

Sugarmaker
03-09-2018, 12:59 PM
This year I upgraded from a stockpot rocketstove at 1-2 gph to a 2x4 with AUF at 8-10 gph. it took me about 120 gallons to sweeten the pans (i run a little deeper due to draw off valve) to begin this season but now when i draw off, my syrup has a ton of niter and is very dark. I did draw off some early in the year about 214 degrees and finished on propane stove and was a nice amber color but now i am drawing off at 218 degrees and it is very dark.

What could i be doing wrong? is this normal for the extent of time is was over heat? sap was slightly cloudy but not to bad

Thanks for the help

I dont think your doing any thing wrong. Mostly dark syrup being made in NW PA right now.
Regards,
Chris

Jolly Acres Farm
03-09-2018, 05:49 PM

Thanks for the help

Our end of season sprup gets darker also, usually a red amber color. Nothing to worry about......