PDA

View Full Version : what pump is on your press?

cjf12
03-07-2018, 01:34 PM
My pump no longer primes and is getting louder by the use. Its an oberdorfer 40001. Curious what other people have on theirs. Seems like i need a replacement. Hate getting junk and having to replace it again anyway. Thoughts on a good one?

S.S.S
03-07-2018, 02:38 PM
Air diaphragm is the way to go.

DrTimPerkins
03-07-2018, 03:08 PM
Air diaphragm is the way to go.

I second that.

cjf12
03-07-2018, 05:05 PM
Now im curious. Wasn't expecting that i guess. Why? Now i would have to run an air compressor also. Another piece of equipment in the shack. They are that much better? Just curious.

maple flats
03-07-2018, 05:55 PM
Yes they are. Besides, if you go the gear pump route in a year or two any gear pumps must be SS. I made the change just before last season, so much better and far more control.

wiam
03-07-2018, 06:48 PM
Now im curious. Wasn't expecting that i guess. Why? Now i would have to run an air compressor also. Another piece of equipment in the shack. They are that much better? Just curious.

Biggest answer to why. Lead in the brass. And they don’t wear out as quickly. And more control on pump speed.

wiam
03-07-2018, 06:50 PM
This is on my press. https://www.zoro.com/warren-rupp-double-diaphragm-pump-air-operated-220f-wr10kp5bkk9/i/G2116721/

Russell Lampron
03-07-2018, 07:03 PM
I'm using an air diaphragm pump too. I use an oil-less contractors compressor to run it. I put the compressor in my wood/tank shed and run the air hose through the wall into my RO/canning room.

Amber Gold
03-08-2018, 09:01 AM
I third that.

When the gear pump on my press wore out, I replaced it with a diaphragm pump. I use the same as WIAM, but it wasn't $500 when I bought it from Grainger...$2-300 say 6 years ago. Since it's plastic, make sure you get the one made from Kynar...safe for syrup temps. For that kind of money, the maple companies may be competitive on price.

Only issue I've had with it is I did tear a diaphragm...guessing when I put it back together, I didn't seat it properly. Rebuild kit was ~$180. Other issue is the spring loaded discs will sugar up and stick shut. Simple 10 min breakdown, hot water wash, rebuild, to get it working again. Simple, simple pump.

Pump from Grainger. (https://www.grainger.com/product/WARREN-RUPP-WARREN-RUPP-Air-Operated-Double-WP8848424/_/N-htoZ1yyy9ibZ1yyxeyxZ1yyy9kr/Ntt-air+operated+diaphragm+pumps?EndecaKeyword=air+ope rated+diaphragm+pumps&NLSCM=5&nls_boost_words=noContent&searchRedirect=air+operated+diaphragm+pumps&sst=subset&breadcrumbCatId=5444&s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/2ERY7_AS01?$smthumb$)

Russell Lampron
03-08-2018, 11:39 AM
Other issue is the spring loaded discs will sugar up and stick shut. Simple 10 min breakdown, hot water wash, rebuild, to get it working again. Simple, simple pump.

I rinse my pump out with hot water after every use. I think I've had my pump longer than you've had yours and haven't had a single problem with it. Mine is a Yamada aluminum bodied 1/2" pump with Teflon diaphragms. I found mine on ebay for $99.

dbeitz1891
03-08-2018, 12:42 PM
I'm picking up a yamada ndp-15 bst. That's the stainless model. I got a great deal on 3 of them. Anyone use them? I'd be willing to sell the other 2 since rebuild kits are readily available.

saphead
03-08-2018, 01:36 PM
Stainless is the way to go. Everyone (angencies) are all freaked out (as they should be) about "getting the lead out" but they don't say a word about aluminum. I won't knowingly buy syrup from anyone using an aluminum press.Where I help out they use a 10" cast iron press and after having many many thousands of gallons going through it you can see the wear on the waffle plates,just imagine what happens with aluminum. Has anyone ever tested syrup for aluminum with all these aluminum presses being used? Even though they might not admit it, aluminum is a huge neurotoxin and I'm sure is a major contributor to dementia,etc. as it's still used as an adjuvant in flue shots and who knows what else. Don't mean to rant but if you had a parent that just faded away you might feel the same way. The aluminum lobby in DC is very powerful.

Amber Gold
03-08-2018, 01:39 PM
Russ, I rinse mine with water in the off-season, but not once winter hits. It stays outside, and I'm concerned about water freezing in it, so I leave syrup in the pump.

cjf12
03-08-2018, 02:20 PM
I'm picking up a yamada ndp-15 bst. That's the stainless model. I got a great deal on 3 of them. Anyone use them? I'd be willing to sell the other 2 since rebuild kits are readily available.
I just checked this pump out on https://www.pumpcatalog.com/yamada/ndp-15-series/ndp-15bst/
Looks great. I am having a hard time justifying a 1000 dollar pump. How much would I be looking at for an electric one. The replacement for mine is 400 but is bronze. If you got a GREAT deal let me know. I may be interested.

Russell Lampron
03-08-2018, 07:15 PM
Russ, I rinse mine with water in the off-season, but not once winter hits. It stays outside, and I'm concerned about water freezing in it, so I leave syrup in the pump.

I keep mine in the RO room so that it doesn't freeze.

dbeitz1891
03-09-2018, 06:02 AM
I picked mine up for $500. Thought that was a pretty good deal.

sugarsand
03-09-2018, 08:04 AM
what kind of price and what type of material is it built with? I maybe interested, I have a IR ARO pump that weve used for 4 seasons, I thought it would be a good idea to have a rebuild kit on hand in case any ever happened to it. Went thru the company then a service outfit, they quoted me a price of 1800 bucks for the kit.

dbeitz1891
03-09-2018, 10:02 AM
They are $500, they're stainless with Teflon. So they'll handle up to 212 degrees. Most people seem to be using those diaphragm or even ones rated for 180 and they seem to be doing fine.18049