PDA

View Full Version : cloudy sap with slime in the bottom.

Sugar Bear
03-07-2018, 12:27 PM
Two days after emptying my buckets they were about 1/4 full with fairly cloudy sap and slime in the bottom of the buckets. The weather during these two days was cold at night and did not get above 45 degrees during the day.

Does this mean these taps/trees are done putting out good say?

Galena
03-07-2018, 12:30 PM
Does this mean these taps/trees are done putting out good say?

I would think that your trees are definitely done for this season. Slimy or ropey sap is usually a big hint that there is a lot of microbial action going on, and if it smells sour/or bad...toss it.

DrTimPerkins
03-07-2018, 12:37 PM
It might simply mean that your buckets need to be cleaned. Whether the trees will run again depends upon the weather, how long your taps have been in, and your spout sanitation practices.

buckeye gold
03-07-2018, 02:40 PM
I have noticed this more in plastic buckets. I would bet a washing will take care of it. When I was on buckets I would take a 20-1 chlorine solution around and wash them out with it and have a tank of rinse water too and rinse and set them right back out. Usually one washing about mid season was enough, but in warm years it would usually take a second. Now, how cloudy is your sap? There's cloudy and there's milky looking.

Russell Lampron
03-07-2018, 07:22 PM
When I used to hang buckets I would have times were the sap would be a bit cloudy and I thought I was done for the season. Then the weather would change and the sap would clear up and run good again.

wnybassman
03-07-2018, 08:07 PM
When I used to hang buckets I would have times were the sap would be a bit cloudy and I thought I was done for the season. Then the weather would change and the sap would clear up and run good again.

Exactly what has happened this year. After last weeks warmth buckets were getting funky, slimey and some even had the dreaded pink mold starting. Just before the freeze up I went around with a bucket of clean water and scrubbed all the buckets real good. Everything flowing crystal clear again with freezing nights and warmish days.

Russell Lampron
03-07-2018, 08:16 PM
Exactly what has happened this year. After last weeks warmth buckets were getting funky, slimey and some even had the dreaded pink mold starting. Just before the freeze up I went around with a bucket of clean water and scrubbed all the buckets real good. Everything flowing crystal clear again with freezing nights and warmish days.

Two years ago, the last time that I hung buckets, the sap was cloudy and yellowish on some trees and it looked like the season was done. We got a cold snap that reset the trees and I got 4 more good runs. Others around me had pulled their taps and called it a season.

Sugar Bear
03-07-2018, 09:54 PM
I did do a slime job on those six plastic buckets.

Did have a night of good freeze the night before last around 24 degrees and then a sunny day yesterday ... and the six buckets returned another 9 gallons of crystal clear sap.

Thanks for the input.

Sugar Bear
03-07-2018, 09:59 PM
It might simply mean that your buckets need to be cleaned. Whether the trees will run again depends upon the weather, how long your taps have been in, and your spout sanitation practices.

The weather definitely recovered these six taps. All six.

However could you clarify what "good spout sanitation practices" is so that I can engage in it if I am not already doing so?

Thanks