PDA

View Full Version : Motorized Ball valve for Auto draw off is sticking

Clinkis
03-07-2018, 06:53 AM
The motorized ball valve for my auto draw off is sticking. I’m pretty sure it is building up with nitre. If I dismantle clean it up as best as I can, which is a pain, and spin it manually for a bit it will start working again. This happens a couple times a season. Does anyone else have this problem? Is there an easy way to clean them or prevent this from happening?

Urban Sugarmaker
03-07-2018, 06:58 AM
Yes, I have this problem as well but only on startup with a cold valve. I am in the habit of always testing the valve prior to boiling. I usually tap it with a hammer and it closes. After cycling it a couple times it's good to go and when hot during the boil, it has never failed.

Permeate soak seems to help, but I only do it once per season.

Haynes Forest Products
03-07-2018, 07:49 AM
I take mine and soak it in full strength Vinegar. I don't submerge the valve motor just the valve. I cycle back and forth until its visually cleaner. I will soak it all night if it fits into my cleaning routine.

maple flats
03-07-2018, 07:50 AM
Remove it, run hot permeate thru opening and closing a few times then re-install it.

Haynes Forest Products
03-07-2018, 08:17 AM
The problem with ball valves are the way they are manufactured. The reason you leave a valve at a 45 degree angle during freeze up is so you drain the water out of the outer casting. Whatever cleaner you chose take the time to get it into the outer section also. This area is where build up will scrape off the ball and hide. I take a lot of valves apart when I scrap them and its a nasty place for Gunk to hide.

Clinkis
03-07-2018, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the replies. I soaked it in viniger over night. Will try it again and see. Can these valves be dismantled and the ball removed and cleaned? Looks like it will thread apart. Don’t want to do it if it will wreck it.

Haynes Forest Products
03-07-2018, 06:08 PM
Most ball valves are put together and leave them. Now I see ware patterns in the seats so I wonder if you take it apart and randomly put it back together will you create a leaker? I say actuate it with cleaner and you will be fine

huskyxp
03-08-2018, 03:39 AM
If your auto draw off is a marcland, they can be dismantled. You can unscrew the one end and then you will see the actual ball which will slide right out for easy cleaning.

Bricklayer
03-17-2018, 06:26 AM
I have basically the same valve as smoky lake uses and I run hot water or permeate through it and cycle it open an close.
A soak in vinegar does wonder like others have said.
I find that getting the valve nice and hot as soon as possible and keeping hot liquid against it while boiling helps keep it from plugging up.
When I'm getting close to a draw off I will open my throttle valve and cycle the auto draw valve a couple times to heat it up and then close it and set it to auto.
You can tell by the sound it makes when it closes if it's getting dirty.