PDA

View Full Version : Gast 1065 pulley?

Simeon
03-07-2018, 06:33 AM
Does anyone know where to find a 9/16 bore keyed pulley? My gast 1065's take them and all I could find around were 1/2" and 5/8". I drilled out a 1/2 inch but it's a primitive fix. Also, any experience with TSC electric motors? I just tried a harbor freight motor and it lasted less than a day.

Thanks, Simeon

Haynes Forest Products
03-07-2018, 07:52 AM
Call Grainger you will have it tomorrow if you order today. Zorro tool might have one.

Simeon
03-07-2018, 08:15 AM
Neither have one on the web site that I could find. I think I will call Gast though I think they intend these to be close-coupled.

WESTMAPLES
03-07-2018, 08:56 AM
depending on ho many RPM`s the pump has to run at i would look into direct drive with lovejoy / tri jaw couplers TSC should have those readily available in the hydraulic section, my 1023`s are factory direct driven and i was looking 2067 gast that had no motor and thats how i planned to couple it to a 2 hp marathon electric motor.

Haynes Forest Products
03-07-2018, 09:14 AM
Simeon, WESTMAPLES nailed it are you running Pulleys or the factory direct drive. I would stick to the coupled direct drive. I have a boneyard full of Gast pumps with and without direct drive and it is best to stick with original with a good motor.

WESTMAPLES
03-07-2018, 09:37 AM
and one other thing ill add that ive learn the hard way is that if something is meant for direct drive thats means its not rated for side loading, like a pulley with a belt constantly pulling to oneside ( belt tenison) will probly help the pump fail or shaft seal to leak.... where direct drive centers the load .

Haynes Forest Products
03-07-2018, 10:12 AM
I agree I spoke with the factory about that very point and they said that at start up the torque is very severe. The other interesting fact was if you run a gas motor with pulleys that the constant torque from the piston firing will lead to shaft failure. I can say that I had special made bearing hubs made to help lessen the side torque and they failed. Plus the belt slap is destructive.

Simeon
03-07-2018, 10:44 AM
Thanks to you both. I was afraid that was the case but was hoping to make it easier to source local replacement parts with the belt system. I bought 3 65 series pumps. One 1065 came complete with a love joy coupling to a motor, one with a pulley that looked factory(a 2065) and another 1065 with nothing. All eBay specials. I foolishly under ventilated the complete one and spun out the love joy due to overheating. Then I put the 2065 in its place hooked up to a harbor freight motor which melted in a few hours. Yes, I can be a slow learner. I have better excellent ventilation now. I guess I have the time to order parts and do it right with this Change in weather.

Haynes Forest Products
03-07-2018, 12:57 PM
Simeon As Fran Tarkington wrote a book titled "I never learned anything by winning" You call it slow learning I call it perseverance. The reason we know what we know is speaking for myself I have 5 Gast pump set ups and when running properly they work great. I have 4 spares on the shelf.

Anyone in Wisconsin looking for pumps motors or complete set ups call me..I'm clearing out the shack 303-810-5501 heck I'm going to green bay and Codott Thursday

Text me your cell number I'll send a picture