PDA

View Full Version : Ultraviolet light

S.S.S
03-06-2018, 08:07 PM
Hello everyone, Does anybody use a ultraviolet light in there sap tank for bacteria? And if so how well does it work? Thanks, Jon

Maple Man 85
03-06-2018, 08:48 PM
I've read of people using them and at one point in time I believe there was a manufacturer making such a device but have not heard much in recent years. Bacteria growth is relative to syrup opacity and grade. Air injection solved some of the dark syrup problems (because the consumers/packers wanted lighter syrup). I believe there is a research article on either Proctor's or Cornell's page that addresses UV light effectiveness.

lew
03-06-2018, 09:02 PM
A uv light in the tank is only good to help keep the tank "clean". UV light cannot penetrate sap effectively very far, a fraction of an inch. However, I do keep one in my concentrate tank to keep the tank bacteria "free" between uses.

DrTimPerkins
03-07-2018, 07:35 AM
The good news is that UV lights can work if you have the right type of unit and it is installed and maintained (cleaned) properly. The bad news is that nobody can afford to buy the units that actually work. House-type water units are NOT effective with sap. As Lew said, penetration isn't good in sap, so kill efficacy is very low...unless you have the right kind of unit (which nobody could afford so the company stopped making them).

Conococheague
03-07-2018, 07:42 AM
This leads me to a question - I'm considering one of the BucketRO systems for my hobby operation. One of the options is the UV light. It's a $65 upgrade so cost isn't really an issue but would you consider this a waste of money? Sorry to hijack the thread but I think it's relevant to this discussion. Thanks.

Conococheague

S.S.S
03-07-2018, 08:48 AM
The good news is that UV lights can work if you have the right type of unit and it is installed and maintained (cleaned) properly. The bad news is that nobody can afford to buy the units that actually work. House-type water units are NOT effective with sap. As Lew said, penetration isn't good in sap, so kill efficacy is very low...unless you have the right kind of unit (which nobody could afford so the company stopped making them). Dr.Tim what was the cost of the unit?

DrTimPerkins
03-07-2018, 09:07 AM
This leads me to a question - I'm considering one of the BucketRO systems for my hobby operation. One of the options is the UV light. It's a $65 upgrade so cost isn't really an issue but would you consider this a waste of money?

Not familiar with that unit.

DrTimPerkins
03-07-2018, 09:08 AM
Dr.Tim what was the cost of the unit?

I don't recall, but we looked into getting one a couple of times. Each time it resulted in a bit of a gasp and immediate decision to NOT purchase it. And this was for research purposes, so we're far less price sensitive in those cases.

Update: Just looked this up and it appears that a different company is making the unit. http://cidersure.com/sapsteady/ Not a lot of information available on it. This is not an endorsement, as we have never tried it.

Conococheague
03-07-2018, 12:20 PM
Dr. Tim,

www.therobucket.com is the website that sells the bucket RO's. I learned about them on a thread here somewhere. Thanks.

Conococheague

DrTimPerkins
03-07-2018, 12:35 PM
Dr. Tim, www.therobucket.com is the website that sells the bucket RO's.

Yes, I'm familiar with the product. Just didn't know they offered a UV option.

Make sure you choose a standard sediment filter (and rinse it first). You definitely do NOT want to use a carbon filter with this setup (or with ROs in general).

saphead
03-08-2018, 12:49 PM
I have talked to a local producer that uses a sap steady and he said that it made a huge difference in how often he had to clean his RO membranes.(for the better) If I remember correctly the sap passage is only about .100" wide, that's why there are multiple lights/sap passage chambers so the uv light can do it's thing.

S.S.S
03-08-2018, 02:25 PM
I have talked to a local producer that uses a sap steady and he said that it made a huge difference in how often he had to clean his RO membranes.(for the better) If I remember correctly the sap passage is only about .100" wide, that's why there are multiple lights/sap passage chambers so the uv light can do it's thing.I would be interested in asking him a few questions about it.

DrTimPerkins
03-08-2018, 02:51 PM
I have talked to a local producer that uses a sap steady and he said that it made a huge difference in how often he had to clean his RO membranes.(for the better)

$3,200 will buy a LOT of RO soap.

Clinkis
03-08-2018, 09:38 PM
I installed a UV light on the concentration line when I had my first homemade RO which was similar to the RO bucket. I found it didn't make any noticeable difference. I'd save your money.

blissville maples
03-14-2018, 06:43 AM
Just another example of a manufacturer taking advantage of people who don't know, and it simply sounds good.

Save your money seriously, you'd be better off putting a silver spoon in your tank if you're worried about microbes

CampHamp
03-15-2018, 08:49 AM
You will not kill 100% with a water treatment unit in a single pass. If you recirculate your main holding tank sap past a UV light (no matter what velocity or chamber thickness), it will kill bacteria and yeast. Right? Will it keep up with reproduction rates?

DrTimPerkins
03-15-2018, 09:40 AM
If you recirculate through a UV unit designed for water treatment, and it is operating properly (it is clean, the bulb is good, and the flow rates aren't excessive), you will kill some of the microbes in the sap. However, you will also raise the temperature of the sap (by the pump and the UV unit), which has the negative consequence of increasing the reproduction rates of the microbes. Where you end up depends on the efficacy of the UV unit and the rise in temperature. Kind of the "two steps forward, one step back" approach at best.

prairietapper
03-15-2018, 10:57 AM
it sounds like the old adage- get it boiled! remains the best rule of thumb....