PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of upgrading...

Couchsachraga
03-06-2018, 05:57 PM
I have a neighbor who is looking to upgrade from a 2x4 (flat pan), and that has prompted me to think about upgrading myself.

So, two questions:
1). Any thoughts (range) on what a (lead soldiered I'm pretty sure) Small Brothers 2x6 with a spare front pan is worth? Good shape (one pan has been resoldiered a bit), draw off either side of the finishing pan, nothing wrong with the arch.

2). I have 150 taps on 3/16 line, with my gradient I get plenty of gravity vacuum. Made 42 gallons on 118 taps 2 years ago. Off-grid, may or may not add more taps (I have the trees, just not sure how much syrup I "need" to produce...). Sugar house is 10x20. Knowing I likely won't go RO, and to give myself some room for more taps I'm thinking a more modern setup (air tight, AUF, steam away and pre-heater) in either 2x6 or 2x8.

My reasoning behind upgrading is to move to a welded (and non-leaded) pan setup and increase efficiency - I enjoy sugaring, but not 12+ hours a day for days on end (my sugar house is 45 min from my house, and 1.25 miles from where they stop plowing...). RO may be the way to go, but with no major power source in there, no heat other than the evaporator, the cost, and worrying about being able to clean it properly after use my thinking is to size for a raw sap setup, and if I ever decide to put 1000 (or more) taps in (which is very doable) and "get serious" then add RO.

I'll be adding AUF to my current setup this weekend, but it won't be air tight to say the least (until I figure out how to add some insulation to the doors I expect I'll be keeping the air down too to keep the ash and sparks from flying out).

Looking for recommendations on size and what brands to look at. The current setup was purchased used 30 years ago or so, so I look at this as a long term purchase that I hope to get 20-30 years out of (by then I may be too creaky to sugar!).

Thank you for any thoughts, and again to those of you that helped guide me to increase the GPH on my current setup.

mol1jb
03-06-2018, 06:08 PM
What size is your current evap?

bowtie
03-06-2018, 06:21 PM
I just sold my 2x6 all welded,ss arch,with blower for $2900, so my guess would be 2K ish, but you never know and it only takes one person to pay more.
If you went with an actual steam away I would think a modern 2x6 raised flue would be more than enough, that said a steam away will likely cost at least half of what a new evap is. The max flue by leader, silver plate by smokey lake, or a sunrise of similar design should boil 50-60 gph, with 150 taps even a two gallon run would result in than a 6 hr boil start to finish.if you add a steam away you will be in the 85-95 gph range. I would think that adding a pre heater and tight fitting hoods to any of the 2x6's mentioned will more than serve your needs. The only issue I see for you with a 2x8 is on smaller runs you may not get enough sap to make it worth starting the your evap. If you only boil every couple days then then that is a moot point and the 2x8 might be better.just my opinion

Haynes Forest Products
03-06-2018, 06:28 PM
They do make gas powered RO's

maple flats
03-06-2018, 07:14 PM
Money spent on a small RO, gas powered if need be will process more sap that the same money spent on a larger evaporator. When I bought my RO, I paid $3200 and it removes about 185-190 gal/hr. At that time it was a gas unit. I later removed the gas engine and converted it to electric when I put power in at the sugarhouse. I think that unit is about $3400-3500 now. Even if you need to run a small RO off a generator, you will be way ahead adding an R.O rather than getting a bigger evaporator. In electric units, you can get 50-75-100-200 and 250 gal/hr at reasonable prices, what ever fist your operation, and if you grow bigger (most do) you can sell that RO and go bigger.

Couchsachraga
03-06-2018, 07:23 PM
Current evaporator is a 2x6 Small Brothers Lightning. From comments here I wasn't sure how much value it still has given the (likely lead) soldiered pans (I think Small Brothers disappeared before they went to lead-free soldier; I haven't bothered to check, just left the nice patina on the soldier:) ).

Working full time I do tend to sugar every few days (an evening or two week, and long weekends).

On the RO and I know folks really like them, but given no heat or power I guess I'm a little intimidated by the amount of cleaning they need, and how long that may take. I also enjoy the quiet of the sugar house to be honest, and am not sure I want to hear a (gas) motor running, though I'll admit my little 2kw generator is very quiet.

maple flats
03-07-2018, 09:03 AM
The heat is an issue, I installed a direct vent propane wall heater controlled by a t-stat. I got a 8,000 BTU House Warmer for just over $450 from Northern tool and equipment, Amazom also carries it, but they are out too at this time. It runs off the bulk tank I have at my sugarhouse. I see it in unavailable now, but my guess it will be available next summer and fall. These places seem to be like Walmart, they don't keep stock for the current season, just the next season and they run clearance sales shortly after the begins.
I built a small well insulated room for my RO. Mine is on wheels, I pull it out and roll it to run next to the door to my sugarhouse, then I cut a little trap door that the hoses and the power cord pass thru. If you get a gass one you'd need to move itr outside to run.
There are also some R.O's that do not need to be heated, they must be designed to drain.
Happy planning!