PDA

View Full Version : Big Trees a lot of sap

blissville maples
03-06-2018, 05:27 AM
I could never figure out until this year when I added High vacuum to my Sugarbush of 850 tabs which 80% of those trees are 20 inch plus, how our family friend in Orwell makes 1800 to 2400 gallons on 4000 taps. My 850 tap Sugarbush is just over the hill and has all similar-sized trees as his old sugar Orchards that his father started. Since March I have been getting 1.5 to 3.5 gallons per tap per run from the trees yesterday from the 12:30 to 9 at night I got almost 1400 gallons at 34 degrees.

I used to never shy away from tapping 6-10 inch trees but I am now learning I believe they're more work than it's worth.

spud
03-06-2018, 06:21 AM
Those big trees are the money makers for sure. Not only do you get more sap per tap but the sugar can be 2-3 times as much as a 6 inch tree. Good luck and have fun.

Spud

DrTimPerkins
03-06-2018, 07:38 AM
Those big trees are the money makers for sure. Not only do you get more sap per tap but the sugar can be 2-3 times as much as a 6 inch tree.

There is a very strong relationship between tree size and sap yield. Basically -- bigger pipe, bigger volume, bigger yield. There is also a good relationship between sap sugar content and size. Smaller (suppressed or intermediate) trees tend to have lower sap sugar content, while co-dominant and dominant trees have higher sap sugar. Once they reach canopy level, sap sugar is more dominated by genetics. Before that, sap sugar is controlled by light exposure. The analogy is that the leaves of the tree are the engine of the system. In order to run well, that engine needs fuel. Trees growing in the understory don't get enough fuel, so they run slowly and don't generate much (in terms of sugar production). Trees growing with good light exposure are getting maximum fuel, and the pedal is floored when the sun is shining (and they have enough water and nutrients), so they can make a lot of sugar.

The really interesting thing is that bigger trees not only produce more sap, they tend to produce sweeter sap, so you're getting a double whammy from them.

Little trees, little sap, low sugar. Big trees, more sap, more sugar. That is why thinning (crop tree management) is so important in getting good yields from your woods.

In general the "Rule" we have determined from research at UVM PMRC is that for each 1" a tree is larger, it will produce ~2 gal more sap, the sap will be 0.075 Brix sweeter, and it will generate about 0.6-0.8 lbs more syrup (assuming high vacuum and good spout/drop sanitation practices).

Tapping small trees may not provide enough economic benefit to make it worth it when you consider the materials (spout, drop, tee, lateral line, labor) and the labor of tapping, pulling spouts, and repairs. Even if it does generate some profit, it probably isn't much better than thinning to generate more growth and higher yields on your crop trees.

We've had a couple of papers out on this subject in the past year.

https://www.themaplenews.com/story/understanding-the-relationship-between-tree-size-and-yield/187/

blissville maples
03-06-2018, 08:09 AM
Definitely some truth to this, money makers No Doubt

At my house I have nine hundred taps of those 900 taps, there are a lot of small trees that are so thick they should be cut however when I was a smaller producer 5 years ago I decided not to cut them and tap them with these eigth inch spouts or whatever size they are they are the size of a pencil lead stainless steel and you attach the drop line right to them and take the drop off at the end of the season.... No doubt these little trees put out sap but I think it takes me so much extra time to tap these and I don't change the spouts because they're so small I'm not worried about production of them but rather harness whatever they can give me instead of Simply cut them down with a chainsaw, I need to forget about them and go after something that gives more bang for its buck

I do believe I'm probably better off cutting them which will save my time tapping and leak hunting and just look forward to 15 years from now when those trees that I saved are much bigger and healthier.

blissville maples
03-06-2018, 08:27 AM
To boot some of my cluster trees which may only be three to four inches haven't even died after two to three years of tapping which I was hoping to kill him after 2 years instead of cutting them with the chainsaw..... Seems as though they are a little more resilient than I thought