PDA

View Full Version : what is meant by "ropey" sap?

unclejohn
03-05-2018, 08:23 AM
What does it look like, what causes it, and what impact does it have on syrup quality? Thanks John in Missouri

Galena
03-05-2018, 08:27 AM
Ropey sap is thick, cloudy, almost jelly-like sap that smells frickin awful. Think of it as tree snot. I've only had it once in all the years I've tapped, and it was at the end of season when the taps were drying up anyway. Linked to microbial growth is my understanding. Pretty sure you don't want to make syrup from it unless it's for someone you really don't like!

Potters3
03-05-2018, 09:00 AM
Tree snot is as close as you can get. If you grab a handful it is just like snot.

Sugarmaker
03-05-2018, 09:43 AM
Soured sap has a nice ring to it for me:) If you boil sour sap you can get ropy syrup too. Best explanation I have heard was from Les Ober (OHIO) when you pour out ropy syrup and stop it tries to go back up. We made some last year. Weather was just to warm to get ahead of the bacteria.
Regards,
Chris

BreezyHill
03-05-2018, 06:58 PM
Ropey sap is a nasty mess that is more like a gelatin that is not finished setting up. It would rather stay in a mass than be pored out. It will stay in the bottom of the tank or container when fresh sap is added.
My wife says it smells like we are boiling nasty socks.

I have had sap turn in the middle of the day and not notice the smell. The syrup has an off flavor but is still somewhat sweet.

When you have it you will know it.

Hope this helps.