PDA

View Full Version : New oil fired rigs

mainebackswoodssyrup
03-04-2018, 12:22 PM
Wondering if people have opinions or suggestions on manufacturers for a 2x6 size oil fired evaporator that’s not from one of the big companies. Lots of options out there for wood fired but what about oil? We’re in Maine, closer is better but we can travel. Any help is appreciated. Hoping to look into it for aApril/May order.

maple flats
03-04-2018, 02:52 PM
Check out Thor in Quebec. I got my 3x8 pans from them, excellent welding and far better price than Leader.

mainebackswoodssyrup
03-04-2018, 03:26 PM
Thanks maple flats. I should add that for anyone reading this, considering a used rig too as long as it is good shape.

Haynes Forest Products
03-04-2018, 05:59 PM
I think now days't you have to look at the rig and the arch as two separate items. Now you mentioned oil so look for a well designed arch that is made for oil. No bricking only fire blanket. You dont need a fancy smancy SS Diamond pleated enclosed box to have high heat making sap dance in you pans.
I built mine myself from plans CDL drew up for me and it ROCKS and its 16 years old. I have storage under my arch that is Handy as heck an the heat is minimal. Now I wish I had time to see if it makes more sense to have the gun blowing from under the back towards the front and then have it rumble around the combustion chamber and then out to the back. That would save me 36" around the finish pans.

wiam
03-04-2018, 06:17 PM
Now I wish I had time to see if it makes more sense to have the gun blowing from under the back towards the front and then have it rumble around the combustion chamber and then out to the back. That would save me 36" around the finish pans.

I too have the reverse fire change in mind. That is something I would look for in an oil rig. I also built my arch. Not much to it even if you need to have a local weldor put it together for you. Pretty happy with my Thor pans. I was also very happy with my 2x6 from W F Mason but I don’t know if he does oil rigs.

BSD
03-04-2018, 07:59 PM
is there a difference in oil pans? Next year I'm contemplating selling my current arch/pans and going oil-fired and running an RO. Just starting to gather information on it now.

wiam
03-05-2018, 04:50 AM
is there a difference in oil pans? Next year I'm contemplating selling my current arch/pans and going oil-fired and running an RO. Just starting to gather information on it now.
No difference.

Urban Sugarmaker
03-05-2018, 06:42 AM
I too have the reverse fire change in mind. That is something I would look for in an oil rig. I also built my arch. Not much to it even if you need to have a local weldor put it together for you. Pretty happy with my Thor pans. I was also very happy with my 2x6 from W F Mason but I don’t know if he does oil rigs.

I asked Bill about it and he said yes he could do it.

wiam
03-05-2018, 09:59 AM
I asked Bill about it and he said yes he could do it.

My Mason had horizontal tubes through the back pan. I have never seen sap try to jump out of the pans like that.

mainebackswoodssyrup
03-05-2018, 11:37 AM
That;s good to know about Mason, thanks guys. I will definitely be checking with him then.

mainebackswoodssyrup
03-18-2018, 08:28 AM
Going to look at a used 2x6 Mystique evaporator. I believe they were made by a guy in Quebec, maybe sold by D&G? Anyone have any opinions? Could be a good deal if it’s in good condition. I searched on here and found a couple threads.