PDA

View Full Version : gph on a 6x6 syrup pan

maplekid
06-29-2007, 01:03 PM
i just got a 6x6 syrup pan for 60 bucks and i was wandering what the gph would be on one of them

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
06-29-2007, 05:03 PM
I used to boil over a King 5x7 stainless pan that I got used from Bascoms on a cinderblock arch with two 6" stacks coming out the back and aprox 16' high. Once I got the arch hot, I could boil off around 50 gph but it was a wood eating monster due to the width of the arch.

maplekid
06-29-2007, 05:30 PM
yeah i got it for a great deal and i dont even know if i can even boil for more than 4 hours. kinda takes the fun out of it. do you know if anyone would trade for a small evaporator. its a nice pan(ss) and its worth more than i paid thats for sure.

Fred Henderson
06-29-2007, 08:17 PM
I used to boil over a King 5x7 stainless pan that I got used from Bascoms on a cinderblock arch with two 6" stacks coming out the back and aprox 16' high. Once I got the arch hot, I could boil off around 50 gph but it was a wood eating monster due to the width of the arch.

Brandon, Those twin stacks must have looked like Mississippi river boat steaming towards home.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
06-29-2007, 08:52 PM
Fred,

That was the good old days. I had them side by side about 12 to 18 inches apart. Long time ago and it was not enough draft, but maybe that is why I got good evap rate as I was not pulling out too much heat. Funny thing is that the pan was stainless by King and I bought the thing without seeing it talking to Bruce over the phone and he told me he would ship it to me for $ 100 on a tractor trailer. It ended up costing him $ 116, but I paid $ 300 total and he never ask for the extra $ 16, said he told me $ 100 and that is what it would be. I still like dealing with Bascoms but now a $ 75 order that would fit in a 8 x 8 box cost $ 15 or more in shipping. I know shipping isn't cheap anymore, but they seem interesting in making a lot on shipping and handling any more.

Fred Henderson
06-30-2007, 04:40 AM
Not to hijack this thread but, the cost of fuel is driving the shipping cost up.

maplekid
06-30-2007, 12:45 PM
wvm what did you do with that 5x7 pan?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
06-30-2007, 09:13 PM
Still have it laying beside the sugarhouse. My brother shot a hole in it with a small diameter carbon arrow when he was practicing shooting his bow about 10 years ago. It is still in good shape and the hole could be patched. You are welcome to it if you drive down and get it but only if you are going to use it to boil with.