PDA

View Full Version : Finished syrup question

Sly41985
03-01-2018, 12:49 PM
Bottled up a little over 5 gal the other night. Was super excited thats the first time ive made syrup from new evaporator. Looked at it today, turned the bottle upside down and saw what looked to be clearish looking strings come from mason jar cap. When i opened up jar put a spoon through and felt nothing and nothing came out but coud see clearish looking strings still thru syrup. Did not taste bad so whats up with the syrup? Any help is greatly appreciaed!

lyford
03-01-2018, 01:09 PM
I've seen this on my mason jars when I flip them over after being cooled. Near as i can tell when you place the lid on the jar the still hot syrup continues to evaporate a small amount which then condenses on the underside of the lid. When I flip the jar over the small amount of water on the lid mixes with the syrup and due to the difference in density of the 2 liquids it looks like little "strings" until they mix again.

Sly41985
03-02-2018, 07:10 AM
So its ok then? Ive got a few prople that would like to purchase some i was just worried. Thanks for the help!

Galena
03-02-2018, 07:26 AM
So its ok then? Ive got a few prople that would like to purchase some i was just worried. Thanks for the help!

Sounds like it should be ok. Taste and smell it and of course when you're re-bottling it to sell, make sure you're using all new lids and collars. Also fwiw I always rinse new lids, collars and jars very well under hot running water to get rid of that slightly off-putting *new lid/jar/collar* odour. Just so it doesn't impart to the syrup.