PDA

View Full Version : Murphy cup confusion

whity
03-01-2018, 12:32 PM
We just got a Murphy cup this year. Not sure if we are using it properly. Put the hot syrup in and check it with the hydrometer and they don't match. So we moved the dial to match and recheck and the hydrometer still reads the same but the Murphy cup now reads a different reading. What are we doing wrong?:confused:

maple flats
03-01-2018, 12:55 PM
The dial on the murphy cup will tell you what the hydrometer should read at the temperature the syrup in the Murphy cup is at. If the hydrometer reads below the dial pointer , you need to boil more, if the hydrometer reads higher than the Murphy cup pointer you need to dilute it. When both match the density is right, as long as your hydrometer is accurate. All a Murphy cup is is a thermometer, with the temperature face removed and the hydrometer readings for each temperature on it. It takes the guess work and the calculations out. As the temperature changes, so will the hydrometer readings. You no longer need to be at 209+F or 60F to be at a red line.
When adding water or sap, go slowly as you add, mix and get a new reading. You don't want to add too much and then have to boil again.

Wanabe1972
03-01-2018, 05:03 PM
Now that you have moved the dial you will have to recalibrate the Murphy cup. I know this for a fact because i cant leave anything alone and had to fiddle with mine. Put icey water in the cup and turn the dial back to the blue line i think. I dont have mine infront of me. It might have been on the directions that came with it.

whity
03-02-2018, 06:09 AM
The dial on the murphy cup will tell you what the hydrometer should read at the temperature the syrup in the Murphy cup is at. If the hydrometer reads below the dial pointer , you need to boil more, if the hydrometer reads higher than the Murphy cup pointer you need to dilute it. When both match the density is right, as long as your hydrometer is accurate. All a Murphy cup is is a thermometer, with the temperature face removed and the hydrometer readings for each temperature on it. It takes the guess work and the calculations out. As the temperature changes, so will the hydrometer readings. You no longer need to be at 209+F or 60F to be at a red line.
When adding water or sap, go slowly as you add, mix and get a new reading. You don't want to add too much and then have to boil again.

Thanks Dave. That makes sense now.

whity
03-02-2018, 06:10 AM
Now that you have moved the dial you will have to recalibrate the Murphy cup. I know this for a fact because i cant leave anything alone and had to fiddle with mine. Put icey water in the cup and turn the dial back to the blue line i think. I dont have mine infront of me. It might have been on the directions that came with it.

I guess I'm not the only one with a need to play with everything:lol: I'll have to look for the recalibration directions. Knowing me I probably thew them away.

DrTimPerkins
03-02-2018, 08:41 AM
It takes a little time to get used to, but once the lightbulb goes fully on, you'll really love it. Key thing to get past.....it is NOT a hydrometer, even though the readings on the scale are in degrees Brix. That number simply tells you what your hydrometer SHOULD read in that syrup if it is proper density.

Urban Sugarmaker
03-02-2018, 08:59 AM
It's a great tool. Accurate too. I just got a digital refractometer and the SL hydrometer and Murphy cup are spot on at 66.9% sugar. Love it.

VT_K9
03-02-2018, 09:09 AM
We started using a Murphy cup this year. It's different, but if you follow the directions and take them for what they say you'll be good. Start asking questions about how...get on google and learn about the theories.

Mike

doocat
03-02-2018, 10:05 AM
I love mine. Started using it this year and has reduced work in our sugar house!

maple flats
03-02-2018, 10:19 AM
In regards to changing the dial, I'm puzzled why you would change the dial before you knew how to use the Murphy Cup. I also sometimes make similar mistakes, but I try to get some answers first.
Sorry for pointing out the obvious, but sometimes that helps in the future.

DrTimPerkins
03-02-2018, 03:20 PM
The only change I'd like to see on the Murphy cup and float is to have a second scale with the actual temperature on the dial, although I'm sure that would really confuse most people even more.

Sugarmaker
03-02-2018, 04:02 PM
The Murphy cup is my go to device now. I don't even pick up the reg hydrometer cup. Nice tool! Easy to read hydrometer too!
The dial number is the target number for the hydrometer. Once I had that figured out It was pretty easy to use. If drawing from the evaporator the red line on the hydrometer is still a good ref that your syrup is in the ball park. But when diluting heavy syrup in the draw off container the Murphy cup works nice to check the density of the mix ant any temp.
Regards,
Chris

McKenney Maples
03-02-2018, 06:02 PM
I agree the ability to quickly check syrup off the evap or in the finisher or some your neighbor brings over without thinking about temp and referencing a chart is really handy.

Wanabe1972
03-02-2018, 08:43 PM
I fiddled with mine because the hydrometer I was using was faulty. The paper slipped and threw everything off and I adjusted the cup dial. I think it was just add ice water and adjust the needle to the blue line. I love the cup I just wish they made one for us left handers.

DrTimPerkins
03-03-2018, 08:21 AM
It can take a bit of time for the temperature to stabilize in the Murphy cup or Murphy float though, so don't be overly hasty.

L&msugarbush
03-08-2018, 10:20 AM
Absolutely love mine! Although I did find out when you calibrate the dial with ice water try to make sure the ice water is at 35 degrees or I can throw your reading off a tad bit

whity
03-08-2018, 04:48 PM
Thanks everyone. I packed it with snow and let it stabilize for 20 minutes and readjusted the dial. Works better now that I know!

Bricklayer
03-09-2018, 03:46 AM
i use the Murphy cup also. My first season using it.
I find I get a better reading with it if I pour hot syrup into it. Put my hydrometer in the hot syrup. Let it sit for 20 seconds. Then dump it back into pan. Then fill it up again with hot syrup and take reading. Let's everything equal out. The first couple tests I did with hot syrup I poured it in and took reading within 20 seconds. Got a good reading but noticed if I let it sit for a minute or two while I was setting my autodraw the hydrometer would be floating higher in the syrup but the thermometer wouldn't change. Then I started to second guess it. Thinking I was drawing off to heavy.
So now I fill it twice to preheat it and the hydrometer. And take the reading right away.