PDA

View Full Version : painting arch?

dhbiker1
06-29-2007, 10:23 AM
I have some really good industrial paint ( Thurmalox I think is the brand) that is perfect for painting my arch. I had to order online and it was expensive, so will the high heat stove paint you can get at walmart or home depot be good enough. The rating says 1200 F.

802maple
06-29-2007, 11:02 AM
I have good luck with the Rustoleum High heat

dhbiker1
06-29-2007, 12:03 PM
thats good enough for me. I just looked and it turns out Thurmalox is also 1200. I thought it was a little beyond in rating and quality but it seems the rustoleum will work fine.

-One other question I had is when bricking the firebox sides, about 1/2-1" from the bottom there are bolts that come through the sheet metal and frame. Do people try to start the bricks above these or go below and start out further?

royalmaple
06-29-2007, 06:25 PM
That is one benefit of using the arch board since you can get a nice smooth surface to brick the arch up. Since the arch board is like fiberglass and you just push it into the bolts or rivets.

or you can try to gouge out where the rivets are in the brick so they fit better against the arch.

3% Solution
06-29-2007, 06:43 PM
Hi guys,
Yup, as Matt says, just gouge out the arch board.
Just happens I went to Bascombs today and got my arch all boarded.
Wear a pair of gloves when you do the board, got little slivers in it.
Started bricking also, didn't get far ............ need a diamand blade for my saw and more bricks!!!
Oh well, now to LaValleys and Home Depot.
Do you guys know if most folks dry lay the bricks or do they stick them up with refractory cement??
As you know the fire box walls are straight.
I thought maybe I would cement the sides and dry lay the bottoms.
Thanks for the help.

Dave

ibby458
06-30-2007, 06:04 AM
I buttered all sides of the bricks, AND the backs. Took a lot more cement that otherwise, but I like the way it turned out. Nice, solid job.

Sugarmaker
06-30-2007, 06:50 AM
Dave,
I used the refractory cement on mine and they have stayed in place for 6 years.
By the way nice talking with you several weeks ago about the steam aways!

Chris

3% Solution
06-30-2007, 07:51 AM
Thanks guys!
I plan on getting bricked today! No not stoned ....... bricked!! Got family help coming.
Ibby;haven't chatted with you lately, we had a good trip with the Amish, hope all is well with you folks! Are you headed to Mason Supplies soon?
Chris; I tried to send the info to you, however, your mail box was full so I couldn't get it to you. Do you have another e-mail address?
Matt; have you got an e-mail address I can send the steam-away info to?

Dave