PDA

View Full Version : New Style Cream Machine

gbilek
06-25-2007, 09:07 PM
I am looking into building one of the new style cream machines. I need to confirm what rpm the gear pump runs at in the comercial units. Does anyone have some "for sure" numbers?

Triple Creek Maple

ziggy
06-26-2007, 12:31 PM
I have some for sure numbers. All of the manufactures seem to be running at different speeds, anywheres from about 250rpm down to about 60rpm. If you are going to build one with a fixed speed I would very very highly recommend going with 60rpm. The machines I have built I am using a 3 phase motor and a variable frequency drive with a 10:1 gear box. This way you can have any speed you desire from 175 rpm down to about 10 rpm. The cost is only slightly higher, but there are many advantages. With small horsepower motors; under 5hp; the drive will run on 230v 1phase and run the 3 phase motor.

gbilek
06-26-2007, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the info. What do you think about using a 1700rpm 3/4 hp dc motor with a variable speed controller and a 10:1 gear reducer?

tuckermtn
06-27-2007, 06:00 AM
ebay is a great place to find all kinds of inexpensive electric motors, gearboxes and reducers...I use a grangier catalog to cross reference...

ziggy
06-27-2007, 08:32 AM
Although I would recommend a 1 hp motor, I believe a 3/4hp DC motor will work without a problem. The thing that has not been talked about is what size gear pump are you planning on using? My recommendation is a 1". What I have learned is that the longer you "stir" cream the warmer it gets, as the cream gets warmer the crystal size (grain) gets larger. This creates 2 problems. 1st smoother cream seperates less, and 2nd customers don't like crunchy cream. With a smaller pump the cream has to circulate more times and there is more friction in a smaller pump all of which creates more heat.

802maple
06-28-2007, 08:53 AM
Also when you make cream to the proper density you have to push the cream into the throat of a small pump when it is near completion and the 1" pump it is much easier I find.