PDA

View Full Version : Getting the 300 gallon tote home

ronintank
02-28-2018, 06:13 PM
Went and picked up a really nice 300 gallon IBC tote from a local distillery. The little subaru did a fine hauling job for the 70 mile haul.17896 1789617897

Ghs57
03-01-2018, 08:10 AM
That must have been in interesting drive, if it was windy.

Your production number are pretty high for your tap count. What's your sugar content? I'm at about half that production with the same number of taps, but sap is only 1.8%. Do you have build info on your RO? This is the last year I'm running raw sap.

Woodsrover
03-01-2018, 08:21 AM
Nice!
Try doing that full!!

maple flats
03-01-2018, 01:22 PM
The last time I bought IBC totes, I hauled 4 on the load, but I had a F250 with a 7x7' aluminum flat bed.

Michael Greer
03-01-2018, 05:27 PM
Wait 'til you find out how much 300 gallons weighs!

Scm
03-01-2018, 06:10 PM

ronintank
03-01-2018, 07:11 PM
That must have been in interesting drive, if it was windy.

Your production number are pretty high for your tap count. What's your sugar content? I'm at about half that production with the same number of taps, but sap is only 1.8%. Do you have build info on your RO? This is the last year I'm running raw sap.

My sugar content varies through the season from 1% to 2.5%. All my line are on a nice slope and I walk them almost every good flow day checking for leaks. I also use new white cdl taps every year. I really thinks the new taps make my season longer. Plus where I live we get some of the best temp swings for good flow and a long season. I have a post in the ro section on my RO unit, all the information was learned from others here on their ro builds, the ro thread is another homemade ro unit.

Ghs57
03-03-2018, 07:51 PM
New taps every year are a must. This year I also did all new drops (every three years). I'll look for your RO post, and look at some of the others. I do this every year, but I think the time has come. I now have a good setup and would like to expand, but as a one man show, I want to increase efficiency. I'm a diy guy, so home-made is the way for me.

prairietapper
03-03-2018, 07:57 PM
LOL I have seen more than a handful of race boats on top of cars but this is the first tote I have seen :)

ronintank
03-03-2018, 08:42 PM
New taps every year are a must. This year I also did all new drops (every three years). I'll look for your RO post, and look at some of the others. I do this every year, but I think the time has come. I now have a good setup and would like to expand, but as a one man show, I want to increase efficiency. I'm a diy guy, so home-made is the way for me.

The ro unit is the way to go best money I have invested so far. I also am also a one man show and now don,t have spend every free moment boiling. Think about using 75% less wood and time boiling.

ronintank
03-03-2018, 08:47 PM
LOL I have seen more than a handful of race boats on top of cars but this is the first tote I have seen :)

I got a few strange looks passing thru a small town on the way home with the tote.