PDA

View Full Version : Running tubing across a road

evanstj
02-28-2018, 01:18 PM
I have to cross a road that needs to be left open. I was thinking about putting in a culvert or laying the tubing on the road and putting U-channel steel over it and driving across it. Anyone have any experience with either way and what to do or not do.

Thanks

BAP
02-28-2018, 01:20 PM
You on vacuum or gravity?

Bucket Head
02-28-2018, 01:25 PM
I'd do the culvert if digging was not a problem. Just seems like having it at the surface would be too vulnerable. Too many variables to ensure a trouble free crossing with traffic on it.

maple flats
02-28-2018, 01:59 PM
What is the road surface? How much traffic?

evanstj
02-28-2018, 06:19 PM
It is on vacuum. There is not much traffic just me hauling sap and maybe 2-3 other vehicles a day.

BAP
02-28-2018, 06:23 PM
If you have vacuum, can you put a sap ladder in and cross the road? I have done that before with good luck. Going under is prone to freezing and not thawing out well.

Chris_In_Vermont
02-28-2018, 06:23 PM
We have a fair number of road crossings, with conductor systems and mainlines, and some minor trails with lateral line tubing. Are you talking just 5\16 tubing or bigger pipe?
We have done both overhead and underground crossings. Generally I prefer the aerial method VS going underneath, going through a culvert or sleeve (we put in 4" sleeves where there is no culvert) you run usually run into minimal slope issues going in and or out, and they need to be kept shoveled out, a pain in the butt. Going overhead is a bit more work doing the high stuff, wire tying and posts and such, and depending on the crossing, you may not be able to get as low as possible with a mainline VS going underneath the road, miss out on some taps.
If you're talking tubing, we've also run 4-6, however many lines you need to, through a sleeve. Dig a trench, lay a PVC sleeve, run the tubing through and away you go. We wire tied all the tubing together and ran a wire kinda like a mainline to help support it.
If it needs to be left open but not during sap season you can build it to be taken apart, anchors on both sides, pipe grips both sides, but still, a pain in the butt.
We've also had line boring done under a main state highway (FYI a 2" vac line, 1.25" pump line and 1" pipe for power cable all fit through a 4" sleeve with 4 runs of 1\4" cable).
If you go overhead be aware there may be height requirements you need to meet. A sight level will be your friend.
Road crossings are a huge pain in the butt no matter how you do them, and to be avoided if possible, but of course are necessary...

blaircountysugarin85
02-28-2018, 08:37 PM
Out of curiosity what kind of a pain in the butt was it to bore under a state road? I can imagine lots of permitting and paperwork not to mention the cost of boring I am sure wasn't cheap!

Chris_In_Vermont
03-01-2018, 07:31 PM
We contracted it out to a company that does line boring, I don't know about permits and such, they would have taken care of that. I don't remember the cost, but it was per foot and I do remember it was pretty crazy. It was an installation for another sugarmaker so the cost was on him. Cross a railroad bed (minimum 18ft) cross the lamoille river, quite a span with no support, and go under the main road. With about 9000 taps. That was an interesting project. I was pulling 1\4" cable and 2" pipe across the river in the end of September! Wire tying on a ladder in the river, lots of fun.

blissville maples
03-02-2018, 04:51 AM
It is on vacuum. There is not much traffic just me hauling sap and maybe 2-3 other vehicles a day.

May not work for you here but I have a situation where the tubing lies flat on the road goes perpendicular across the road and this is the very spongy flex tubing, this has been getting drove across with tractors and trucks for 3 years now and it seems to work fine I just have to go disconnect it if we get a plowable snow storm.... And of course this is not main line I have three runs of 5/16 collecting maybe 20 tabs

Chris_In_Vermont
03-04-2018, 03:30 PM
On Friday I hopped into a jet sled and wire tied a 1.5" air line and 1.25" liquid line through a culvert across a road. Yeah there was water running, hence the jet sled. Worked slick though, pull myself along, didn't get too wet. Culvert was probably 28" across (estimate, I could sit down in the sled comfortable)

SeanD
03-04-2018, 07:02 PM
On Friday I hopped into a jet sled and wire tied a 1.5" air line and 1.25" liquid line through a culvert across a road. Yeah there was water running, hence the jet sled. Worked slick though, pull myself along, didn't get too wet. Culvert was probably 28" across (estimate, I could sit down in the sled comfortable)

You go into the jet sled? Jet sled goes in the water, you go into the water. 28" culvert's in the water. Our 28" culvert.

Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies...

wurmdert
03-05-2018, 05:32 AM
You go into the jet sled? Jet sled goes in the water, you go into the water. 28" culvert's in the water. Our 28" culvert.

Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies...

"Show me the way to go home. I'm tired and I wanna go to bed.":lol::lol::lol:

Jswanson
03-05-2018, 06:47 AM
Ever use a BORZIT to go under the road??