PDA

View Full Version : Why is it not flowing?

fishnhunts.on
02-27-2018, 06:28 PM
Ok, so I've been lurking around this forum for quite some time but first time poster. lots of great info and although I'm sure this has been asked before I couldn't find anything.
So as most I started small with just a couple taps and have grown to over 70 but I'm back down to about 40. I'm in southern Ontario about as south as you can get on the shore of L. Erie. I tapped seven days ago the weather forecast looked perfect. The first week was awesome and collected over 100gal of sap. Now, although weather conditions still seem good (-2ish at night and +5-10 during the day) my trees seem to have shut off. I have done this for quite a few years but have never seen the sap flow drop like this.. is it possible my taps have dried already? Was going to tap a few fresh trees tomorrow but I just don't get it.
Any help much appreciated!

michael marrs
02-27-2018, 06:49 PM
you want it below freezing at night, and above in the day, with 5-10 temps they are frozen. but will come back when temps do the above- below thing

Michael Greer
02-27-2018, 06:56 PM
Agreed. Not quite a big enough temperature swing. We're only a quarter of the way through this season.

ecolbeck
02-27-2018, 07:14 PM
The dude lives in Canada. He’s reporting temperature in Celsius so he’s got freeze thaw cycle. Couldn’t tell you why no sap though.

fishnhunts.on
02-27-2018, 07:29 PM
Yes I'm in Canada..eh lol
So definitely below freezing 30ish F and above freezing 53F today and sunny. A friend of mine is experiencing the same thing. This has been two days in a row with almost identical weather conditions...I don't get it.

mike z
02-27-2018, 08:32 PM
I think it needs to be colder. With near ground low temps at 30 degrees, the tree tops are probably a few degrees warmer. Also, how long was it 30 degrees? A couple hours at sun-up may not be enough. Don't forget about barometric pressure playing a role. Sap runs better when pressure is dropping. Hang in there, it will come. Sometimes it wont shut off.:)

Snappyssweets
02-27-2018, 08:46 PM
Experiencing the same thing in Central Michigan. However I also noticed some upper air movement. I have noted before if I have winds production is low. I think although it was warm here today and it did dip to about 30 last night night, that the still 8-10 mph wind may have been just enough to slow things down. Tonight is supposed to stay warm but with low wind it may run all night and into tomorrow. We shall see in the AM.

lawrence d
02-27-2018, 08:54 PM
I pretty sure Mike is correct not quite cold enough
I am west of port Huron mi (sarnia) area having the same results
-2c/28F nights and the trees in the woods just do not get cold enough
I'm convinced it is because our night time temps are to high a way to late in the evenings was still 44 last night at 11
This morning it was 29 or 1 or 2 below C today there is no sap at all I think that normally 28 F nights would work but it not cold long enough
Pretty sure from experience 30 would work if it was for 10 or 12 hours or more

Run Forest Run!
02-27-2018, 11:25 PM
I'm also having the exact problem. Nice warm days, but the nights aren't cold enough. When it does get below freezing (barely) it's only for an hour or two and not long enough to recharge the trees. Add the gusty winds that we've been having to the equation and that will shut down my trees every time.

I tapped five days ago and have only collected a total of 59L so far on 28 trees and it's very frustrating. In a few days the forecast is looking more promising for night time temperatures. Fingers crossed!

fishnhunts.on
02-28-2018, 05:21 AM
Thanks for all the replys and seems I'm not alone. Colder night time temps on the way after today so hopefully the sap will flow!!!

GramaCindy
02-28-2018, 07:41 AM
Wind can really shut down what should a good run in my experience, also.

Scm
02-28-2018, 02:32 PM

michael marrs
02-28-2018, 02:40 PM
completely forgot about celsius, sorry

fisheatingbagel
02-28-2018, 04:18 PM
Your season is not finished! Sounds like it's not been cold enough. Hang in there, I think you'll get some flow eventually...