PDA

View Full Version : Best way to clean the tank

Birdland Sugarbush
02-27-2018, 01:13 PM
I borrowed a tank from a friend last year and evidently did not clean it out as well as I should have before putting it away last year. There is some lovely green stuff growing in it. It’s soaking now with some bleach but I’m wondering what the best way is to give it a good thorough cleaning? I don’t have a pressure washer

lords sugaring
02-27-2018, 03:58 PM
I really hope it's a very mild bleach solution around 20:1 and triple rinse after. Depending how big the opening is you can scrub it out manually with a new brush. I buy new brushes for my buckets and tanks every year at the dollar store. My 55 gallon drunks the top opens completely so I can get in there and scrub. The 275 gallon tank I picked up I cut an access hole so I can get it there and scrub it when needed. So need to know if you can get in and scrub it out or not

buckeye gold
02-27-2018, 04:43 PM
a pressure washer is best after soaking. I wonder if a car wash on rinse would still have a residue....anyone tried that

maple flats
02-27-2018, 04:54 PM
Be careful using a car wash, they reuse the water over and over. Not food grade for sure.

buckeye gold
02-27-2018, 05:29 PM
good point Dave I was not aware they recycled

Haynes Forest Products
02-27-2018, 09:56 PM
Don't cut the tank all to heck. Its time to get a pressure washer. You can bend the wand to get the top section. I soak my tanks with mild bleach solution and the go at it. You can also get long handle brush that you can reach every part of a cage tank. Once you cut the top up you cant reuse it down the road when you need a transport tank.

Now you could go down the the tennis club and get yourself about 100 tennis balls and put into the tank with some mild soap and 100 lbs of ice and get 4 girls from your local Cross fit gym and have them roll it around your yard for a few hrs. Make sure your wife is out of town.

Birdland Sugarbush
02-28-2018, 04:14 PM
No cross fit near here... :) The bleach did its job, and some blasts from the hose helped dislodge anything left over.

Collected almost 100 gallons in the last two days. Glad I have the tank!

slammer3364
03-02-2018, 09:45 PM
never heard of using bleach until I read this thread. I always use white vinegar in water and let set for a week

VT_K9
03-03-2018, 05:58 AM
We use vinegar to clean here. We had used a mild bleach in our lines many years ago, but did not want the salt residue around to attract animals to start chewing. Vinegar works great.

Mike