PDA

View Full Version : Help needed.

Mitchhorne8
02-27-2018, 12:33 PM
My draw off which was bulletproof last year alongside the saptapapps website seems to be drawing off too soon. When I test with the hydrometer it's not even close to syrup. Could this be a result of low sugar content in the sap? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

ecolbeck
02-27-2018, 01:05 PM
Draw-off temp/density is not related to sap sugar content. I don't own an auto draw-off device but I think the general idea is:

1. Use your hydrometer to achieve proper density
2. Take note of the temp required to reach that density
3. Set the auto-draw off to that temperature.

Potters3
02-27-2018, 01:31 PM
Yep, adjust temp on auto draw to what the hydrometer says is syrup. We have to adjust ours each night a little one way or the other.

meadster02
02-27-2018, 02:05 PM
also keep in mind your hydrometer is calibrated at 211 degrees so when your bringing syrup off at 217 it will float like its light. do a cold test on it or make sure your syrup is 211 when you test it

Mitchhorne8
02-27-2018, 02:37 PM
also keep in mind your hydrometer is calibrated at 211 degrees so when your bringing syrup off at 217 it will float like its light. do a cold test on it or make sure your syrup is 211 when you test itThat's what I've been doing. But I have my auto draw off set 221 and still not syrup. Does this sound too high? Or have ppl has to set at this temp before? Last year I used saptapapps. Com which uses your location and barometric pressure and gives you syrup temperature for that day. And I've never had any problems doing this. Which is starting to make me think that my autodraw is faulty

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Haynes Forest Products
02-27-2018, 09:08 PM
Your temp probe is playing tricks on you. Quit with the fancy smancy Apps and get back to basics. use your Hydrometer and set the auto draw off to that. NOW put the probe in boiling ware and see what it says.

BAP
02-28-2018, 05:18 AM
Your temp probe is playing tricks on you. Quit with the fancy smancy Apps and get back to basics. use your Hydrometer and set the auto draw off to that. NOW put the probe in boiling ware and see what it says.
�� 2nd that. People are getting too lazy and think everything has to be done with a phone App when all you need is a good hydrometer and thermometer. Learn how to master using them and you will make perfect syrup every time.

Super Sapper
02-28-2018, 05:36 AM
Your calibration could be off on the temp probe. Do not get stuck on what temp you think it should be, it is just a number. As others have said, find out what temp your autodraw needs to be at for syrup and set it at that.