PDA

View Full Version : half pint question

penfrydd
02-27-2018, 06:14 AM
Sap is mounting up (likely for just about everyone). My half pint evaporator seems to boil well in the two middle sections, as I expected, but barely boils in the syrup section. Checking with a thermometer shows that the temp is cooler over there compared to the middle. I've looked at the fire to ensure that there's plenty of air circulation but still the same.

Any ideas?

johnallin
02-27-2018, 06:57 AM
I had a half pint for two seasons prior to my 2x6. Things you probably already know but...Not much room in the half pint fire box. You should be cutting your wood short enough to be able to criss-cross. That should allow you to cover more of the pan with fire. You don't want a "tepee fire" or a pile of wood in the center. Have fun, that's a great rig.

berkshires
02-27-2018, 08:54 AM
I don't have a half pint, but in my evaporator I have the same basic dilemma - how to get heat to the front of the pans. I'll share two things I've done that have helped me, and may help you:

1 - when I fire, I rake the coals to the front of the arch and place the wood such that the flames start pretty near the front of the front pan. Like this:
http://mapletrader.com/community/attachment.php?attachmentid=15691&d=1487966967

2 - I've started setting half bricks at the front of the firebox after I get the fire going. So they'd be right by the door, in front of where you see the coals in the picture above. Then I don't worry about raking the coals around, I just set the front of the wood on top of the half brick, and that brings the front of the wood up under the front pan.

HTH,

GO

MapleMike
02-27-2018, 10:55 AM
I had a hobby evaporator for the first 5 years, I agree with berkshires, you need to keep everything as close to the door as possible. After a few hours everything stays hot enough. Welding or stove gloves are a must. Small wood size also helps,
Pallets are great with a mix of soft and hard woods. Good luck and hope your season goes well.

penfrydd
03-03-2018, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'll try to get the fire closer to the front. I've taken off a few times now. The temps on the syrup pan have been much hotter at the back of the evaporator than in the front. I'm thinking of just turning my pans around.