PDA

View Full Version : Some Questions

Daisy Hill Farm
02-27-2018, 05:02 AM
Hello. First time using an evaporator(Mason 2x3) and I'm not sure how to end a boil for the night. Do I let the fire burn out and leave sap in the pan? Remove the whole pan and dump the half processed sap into a container and start again the next day with it? Must I clean the pan each day? I'm also concerned about sap freezing overnight in the pan, as my Mason is outside in the yard. My big worry is damaging the pan. Any info would be much appreciated.

Russell Lampron
02-27-2018, 05:11 AM
Let the fire burn out and make sure that you have enough sap in the pan to keep it from boiling dry. You don't have to worry about freezing it won't damage the pan.

bigschuss
02-27-2018, 05:24 AM
Hello. First time using an evaporator(Mason 2x3) and I'm not sure how to end a boil for the night. Do I let the fire burn out and leave sap in the pan? Remove the whole pan and dump the half processed sap into a container and start again the next day with it? Must I clean the pan each day? I'm also concerned about sap freezing overnight in the pan, as my Mason is outside in the yard. My big worry is damaging the pan. Any info would be much appreciated.

Good questions. I'm on a Mason 2x4. Let the fire burn down but as Russell said just be sure there's enough sap in the pan that as the fire burns down you don't scorch the pan. You'll get some evaporation from the pan for a few hours after the fire is out. Not a lot. But you have to account for it. Leave that sap in the pan and then just start up where you left off the next day. Cleaning each day is not necessary. If it's going to be a while before you boil again freezing sap in the pan is actually a good thing.

Here's what sugarers on small evaporators have to deal with though. You might not have enough sap flow to feed your 2x3 each day. If you don't have fresh sap to keep your rig burning each day or every 2nd or 3rd day and your temps get warm, you risk the sweet in your pan spoiling. When my sap flow ceases or slows and I have sweet in the pan I boil the sweet down as low as possible in the evaporator and then finish on a turkey fryer. Does that make sense? Good luck.

Daisy Hill Farm
02-27-2018, 07:52 AM
Thanks for this VERY helpful info. I'm hoping for my first boil tomorrow.

ecolbeck
02-27-2018, 08:07 AM
In the past I have drawn off all of the contents of the pan (once cooled) into a bucket and refrigerated it (or placed in freezer). This is energy intensive but will preserve it for a long period of time if there's a significant gap between boils.

bigschuss
02-27-2018, 08:54 AM
Thanks for this VERY helpful info. I'm hoping for my first boil tomorrow.

You bet. Good luck!

Daisy Hill Farm
02-27-2018, 10:41 AM
That's good to know. Thank you.