PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Off

Maple Dan
02-26-2018, 05:21 PM
In the past I have always finished off small batches on the electric stoves and have issues filtering. This year I have the time and so far the sap to hopefully finish continuous batches on the arch. Here is what I was thinking of doing.Boil everyday with near up ending up in the middle pan and then every 2 or 3 days bring that pan to syrup. I would place a preheated filter and and liner in bucket (see image) and filter a gallon or so at a time into a 5 gal. stainless steel milk can and repeat every second day always leaveing some in the pans to keep going. I believe this is more or less the way a big operation would do it. I would heat back up to 180-190 to bottle. Does this make sense or amI better to emoty thepans everyday? I am dealing with approx. 250 litres of sap a day. Any help would be appreciated.

Sugarmaker
02-26-2018, 05:51 PM
Dan,
Your process outline will work fine.
Your going to finish batches of syrup. Maybe a gallon or more at a time. A larger evaporator with connected partitions can achieve a somewhat continuous flow and draw off of syrup while still adding sap at another area of the rig.
The bucket will work but a stainless one will be what you want to keep your eye out for next.
Keep boiling!
Regrads,
Chris

David Wayne
02-26-2018, 06:17 PM
Rather than re heating to bottle, this year I am filtering into a stainless pot that is suspended in a pot of boiling water to keep hot for canning.