PDA

View Full Version : Scorched Pans - Cleaning Tips

dennisn418
02-26-2018, 01:24 PM
Can a scorched pan be cleaned off just like any other "dish" or does it need something special? Mostly asking because I have some used pans I could acquire but they look burnt up....not sure If they are salvageable.

northwood
02-26-2018, 01:39 PM
I (lightly) scorched a pan 2 years ago and I bought some full strength cleaning vinegar, soaked for a couple days, the burnt stuff came right off. Had to scrub with a scotch pad on some of it, but otherwise worked pretty good. Remember to clean and rinse realy well after. And wear rubber gloves. Works faster if you put a little heat under the pan. Clears out your sinus as well.

maple flats
02-26-2018, 02:52 PM
If the bottom is still rather flat and solder (if a soldered pan) has not been compromised, it should clean up quite well. Use the white vinegar, , about 1gal/10 SF of surface area. Then while keeping the pan supported so it stays level, heat it from underneath using a torch, heat until you see vapor coming off thew top. It will not be boiling, will just be maybe 100-110F or so. :Let it set an hour, repeating that heating about every 15-20 minutes. Before each reheating, using either a plastic putty knife or a piece of copper hammered flat and sharpened, lightly scrape the inside of the pan. Each time more scale and eventually the burnt part will come clean. If it takes more that 90 minutes, let it set overnight. Then scrape again. Repeat the heating only if necessary. When it all comes loose, rinse completely at least 3x.

Haynes Forest Products
02-26-2018, 03:44 PM
Now to add to what others have said. You can scorch the food in a class Pyrex cook ware. So you say the pan is scorched or is the syrup is what is scorched. Now Im getting to a point so hang in there. If your looking at a pan that is free of the scorched syrup and the pan is dull grey and ripply yes you can cook with it. Can you clean it up so its shinny YES. Do you need to to make good syrup NO. Ripples wont hurt a thing as long as they are minimal 1/4 will work 3/4" make it more difficult. Your buying someone else's reject and that's fine just beware.

All 3 of my finish pans are scorched but free of carbon and burnt syrup BUT they are scorched and cook just like shinny ones and yup they have small warps some up some down.

Arctic Fox
03-30-2018, 11:48 AM
I just received some experience cleaning a scorched pan using vinegar and a flattened copper pipe. Now I have to admit I was very skeptical about the flattened copper pipe method, but it actually worked great. I used vinegar and water and started a small fire to warm things up. Then used the flattened copper pipe to scrape the burned stuff off the bottom of the pan.

I had not heard of that method before reading about it here on MapleTrader, so thank you for this resource.

Trevor5
03-30-2018, 02:34 PM
Anyone use a pressure washer to clean the outside of the pan, to remove all the soot at the end of the season? I usually scrub and scrub and scrub some more, does anyone know if a pressure washe would do the trick and what would be the least amount of psi needed to remove the caked on soot?

Atgreene
03-30-2018, 06:19 PM
Flat copper scraper will scrape scortch or niter off.

Haynes Forest Products
03-30-2018, 10:26 PM
Ill catch some flack for this but I run my rig to get things done. Yes at times I need to run it like I stole it. I will drain finish pans soak for a day or so until I rip off another 4'000 gallons of sap. I dont care that my pan bottoms are a dull Scothbrite finish DON'T CARE. I use a cheap steel spatula to scrape the big chunks off the bottom and corners it saves me a lot of time. I got to tell ya I don't see any more scratching of the surface. I see it burnishing more than scratching. I was thinking that the iron age came after the copper age so I'm going with the more modern technology.:lol:

maple flats
03-31-2018, 07:05 AM
The main thig with a copper scraper is that copper is softer than SS, thus it will not scratch. Whether a shiny vs a dull finish make any difference in the boil, I have no idea, but scratches are ore prone to get more niter buildup and be harder to clean than smooth, regardless of the shine.

buckeye gold
03-31-2018, 07:17 AM
I agree with Haynes on the cleaning.....I'm not into staring at my reflection in my pan bottom so I scrape and scour my pan bottoms. I use 0000 steel wool on the tough stuff. My pan still shines, but it does have a brushed look. The syrup is still awesome and that is what is important. I had an old pan that had a pretty serious warp and it made great syrup too, you just had to learn your depth for sap.

Now my real concern........how do I handle agreeing with Haynes ? Man everyday brings a new adventure!

Haynes Forest Products
03-31-2018, 08:33 AM
Thanks Buckeye I wont tell anyone. The last thing I want to see is my reflection at 67 years old :o My niter build up is more a matter of the heat than finish. What I mean is if you analyze the type,color and thickness its all about the heat from below not the finish above. Both pans have an equal amount of a thin light tan film and then from there its all different thicknesses as the hot spots develop more niter.

When I turned 65 the state showed up and made us take all family photos off the walls and install more mirrors................not sure what they were getting at. :confused:

DocsMapleSyrup
04-01-2018, 07:33 PM
Anyone use a pressure washer to clean the outside of the pan, to remove all the soot at the end of the season? I usually scrub and scrub and scrub some more, does anyone know if a pressure washe would do the trick and what would be the least amount of psi needed to remove the caked on soot?

I've got a 2x6 drop flu pan that I use a pressure washer on. It gets the loose stuff off the outside. Then I use Wal Mart Oven Cleaner as it is lye. Let it set for an hour after spraying it on. Then I blow the rest off with the pressure washer. Works pretty well but can't get all of the soot as it's tough to get betweeb the flues. Even a flu brush doesn't get it all.

TwoSaps2
04-20-2018, 10:37 AM
I thought a pressure washer would clean them right up. Nope. I'm running at 3200 psi, with a tip that will take mortar out of brick joints. Only removes the loose stuff. I haven't tried the vinegar& water, will be this weekend. I usually spray my pans with oven cleaner, stack them, put them in a garbage bag for a couple days. Take out of the bag, then pressure wash. No scrubbing necessary.