PDA

View Full Version : Custom Pan

Benny8
02-26-2018, 07:52 AM
Just a question regarding a pan being made up to fit a block arch. If I had a 18"x36" pan made and wanted to fill from a preheated pan in the right rear corner. Could I have it made with 2 dividers so it would work like the Half-pint pan. If so, is 3-6" channels wide enough to make it flow right, and how long should the dividers be? Still trying to learn, so I apologize if this is a redundant question. Thank you.
Aaron

KJamesJR
02-26-2018, 08:16 AM
Just a question regarding a pan being made up to fit a block arch. If I had a 18"x36" pan made and wanted to fill from a preheated pan in the right rear corner. Could I have it made with 2 dividers so it would work like the Half-pint pan. If so, is 3-6" channels wide enough to make it flow right, and how long should the dividers be? Still trying to learn, so I apologize if this is a redundant question. Thank you.
Aaron

I had a 16”x40” pan made with two divers. My channels are just over 5” wide(x3). I would say it works as a continuous flow should. Also boiling on blocks.

Benny8
02-26-2018, 10:18 AM
I had a 16”x40” pan made with two divers. My channels are just over 5” wide(x3). I would say it works as a continuous flow should. Also boiling on blocks.
KJJR-How long are the dividers? They go the whole length of the pan with a notch, or are they shorter than the length, if that makes sense?

KJamesJR
02-26-2018, 11:22 AM
KJJR-How long are the dividers? They go the whole length of the pan with a notch, or are they shorter than the length, if that makes sense?

They run the entire 40" with a notched hole at the bottom.

ecolbeck
02-26-2018, 11:46 AM
I would think that, in principal, the more dividers the longer the distance the sap has to travel, and the easier it will be to set up a gradient. The width of the channels is largely irrelevant in terms of making it flow right. At a certain point, however, you reach a point of diminishing returns where the added cost of more dividers yields no appreciable benefit to the gradient.

KJamesJR
02-26-2018, 12:13 PM
I would think that, in principal, the more dividers the longer the distance the sap has to travel, and the easier it will be to set up a gradient. The width of the channels is largely irrelevant in terms of making it flow right. At a certain point, however, you reach a point of diminishing returns where the added cost of more dividers yields no appreciable benefit to the gradient.

My only gripe is the gradient dissolving. I've learned with smaller continuous flow pans; if the boil slows down or you suddenly lose a lot of heat, kiss your gradient goodbye. Yesterday with the wind and freezing rain was tough... assuming you're boiling outside.

Benny8
02-26-2018, 02:07 PM
They run the entire 40" with a notched hole at the bottom.Could you tell me what size the notch should be. Thank you for a quick response.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Sugarmaker
02-26-2018, 05:06 PM
1.5 inches.
Regards,
Chris

Benny8
02-26-2018, 05:27 PM
1.5 inches.
Regards,
Chris
Thank you Chris!

Sugarmaker
02-26-2018, 05:40 PM
Welcome! No magic here, but when you look in and cant see the notch you know your sap is 1.5 inches deep:).
Regards,
Chris

KJamesJR
02-26-2018, 06:35 PM
Yeah my botch is about 1”-1 1/2”. They’re triangular so I’d have to trig it out. They’re small I’ll just put it that way.

Benny8
02-27-2018, 06:19 AM
Yeah my botch is about 1”-1 1/2”. They’re triangular so I’d have to trig it out. They’re small I’ll just put it that way.
Thanks KJJR!