PDA

View Full Version : Refractometer or hydrometer

Deep well sap
02-25-2018, 07:55 PM
Any real difference or do these both give accurate results on the final product, I have a Murphy cup and have been really happy just wanna see if there is a better option.

S.S.S
02-25-2018, 08:26 PM
Nothing better then refractometer in my opinion.

Belden Boiler
03-02-2018, 06:41 AM
I have the same question, hope some more experienced syrups makers will weigh in here. I am wondering if one is more accurate than the other and is one that much easier to use.

blissville maples
03-03-2018, 05:35 AM
Refractometer I believe will be more accurate

DrTimPerkins
03-03-2018, 08:18 AM
Both are useful tools. A refractometer is somewhat more versatile and simpler to use. Like any tool however, it does have certain limitations and should be used properly. If you get one, read the instructions, keep it clean and calibrated, and follow the measurement guidelines.

People have a tendency to look at a digital number some device spits out and believe it. Refractometers can "lie" if you don't use them properly. Said another way, they are subject to certain errors if not used correctly (as is a hydrometer). This is especially the case when measuring hot syrup with a refractometer. Temperature stability is quite important in refractometry.

Russell Lampron
03-03-2018, 08:03 PM
I trust my hydrometer for testing syrup and have had some issues using a refractometer for sap. Like Dr Tim says calibration, cleanliness and temperature are important. A little left over sugar on the lens can make a big difference in the accuracy of the reading.