PDA

View Full Version : In case you get hungry while out in the woods.

Scm
02-25-2018, 03:01 PM

maple flats
02-25-2018, 04:34 PM
Yes, and you are correct on the timing, maybe 1-3 weeks after the buds open on the sugar maples for the best taste.

DrTimPerkins
02-25-2018, 05:16 PM
You'll know by the smell when you walk though a patch of leeks. The bulbs are quite deep (and far smaller than an onion).

bigschuss
02-25-2018, 06:41 PM
You'll know by the smell when you walk though a patch of leeks. The bulbs are quite deep (and far smaller than an onion).

You'll also know from the smell when somebody has enjoyed some ramps for lunch or dinner. :lol: Potent!

Been harvesting them in Northwest Mass. since I was a teen in the 80's. My favorite thing to do with them is make homemade salsa.

DrTimPerkins
02-25-2018, 07:26 PM
You'll also know from the smell when somebody has enjoyed some ramps for lunch or dinner. :lol: Potent!

For sure. Keeps the Black flies away too.

ronintank
02-25-2018, 08:59 PM
I dehydrate them then grind them into powder. Buy a couple steaks and cover both sides of the steaks and cook on the grill. Yum yum.

CBOYER
02-26-2018, 11:26 AM
One of the best thing to do with Ramp leaves is a Pesto, simply replace Basilic...Miam Miam...:D

Twisted Minds
02-26-2018, 07:49 PM

Timing here in Wisconsin is usually about 3 weeks after end of syrup run and can hit the wild edibles trifecta: ramps, wild asparagus, and morel mushrooms!

bigschuss
02-27-2018, 05:14 AM

Timing here in Wisconsin is usually about 3 weeks after end of syrup run and can hit the wild edibles trifecta: ramps, wild asparagus, and morel mushrooms!

Do you have fiddlehead ferns out your way? I'm guessing not as they surely would have made your list a edibles quartet. So good!!! Especially sauteed up in olive oil with some ramps.

Twisted Minds
02-27-2018, 07:36 AM
Do you have fiddlehead ferns out your way? I'm guessing not as they surely would have made your list a edibles quartet. So good!!! Especially sauteed up in olive oil with some ramps.

We certainly do! It's just the picture I had, has my 3 favorites. We also have oyster mushrooms, dryads, chaga, watercress, berries, nuts, trout creeks, dandelion greens, spring turkeys, . . . It's just a magical place to live! Who needs a supermarket?

bigschuss
02-27-2018, 08:52 AM
We certainly do! It's just the picture I had, has my 3 favorites. We also have oyster mushrooms, dryads, chaga, watercress, berries, nuts, trout creeks, dandelion greens, spring turkeys, . . . It's just a magical place to live! Who needs a supermarket?

Awesome! Sounds great! Can't wait to get out in the spring turkey woods myself. And generally speaking, where's the ramps, there are usually turkeys.