PDA

View Full Version : Bricking & Pan contact ?

EBG18T
02-25-2018, 11:44 AM
So we received our 18x60 drop flue evaporator from CDL. I cut & installed the ceramic board first. Then I cut bricks to fit the angles and allow for the grate to still come out easy. But I overlooked something..

After I finished applying mortar and getting all the bricks in place i decided to take a measurement of the drop flue width vs the space between the bricks now that everything is place. The side of the outside flue is going to contact the bricks on the wall. Is this going to cause an issue?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180225/91d28a958debb9fb56ac33702e9c8ee0.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180225/2eaf026983e54805973f2fa957fb016b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

SeanD
02-25-2018, 12:03 PM
Have someone help you lift it into place and see how tight it is. If you have a half-inch gap on either side, you can call yourself a genius. If it's grinding as it's going in and out, it's going to bug the crap out of you every time you move the pan. Furthermore, as everything fills with sap and heats up, it could get even tighter. If it's too snug or even too tight to get the pan in, just remove the bricks. You don't need them back there anyway especially since you put insulation in. If you are not in a hurry, you could put half bricks in or even another layer of the ceramic board.

EBG18T
02-25-2018, 12:09 PM
Sean - I am 99% sure its going to contact due to the angle of the wall. I dont plan on moving the pan all that often. Those are 1/2 bricks, I am pretty sure if I pull the bricks, the mortar is going to destroy the fire board behind it.

Say it does contact (99% chance), as the sap and pan heats will it cause damage to the pan?

SeanD
02-25-2018, 01:15 PM
It depends on how bad it is. Is it just touching? Then maybe not a problem. On the other hand, people have damaged flues bashing them with firewood. I hear my pans bang and groan as I fill it or empty it, so the weight of the sap will change things in there. I'm guessing you've got a couple thousand dollars put into those pans vs. a few dozen dollars put into the board and bricks. It's also wide open and easy to work on right now. Personally, I'd take the bricks out. They are only needed in the firebox.

The mortar is not as strong as you think. It shouldn't do much damage to your board. Maybe I'm not picturing what you mean. Do you have mortar between the board and the bricks?

SeanD
02-25-2018, 01:16 PM
It depends on how bad it is. Is it just touching? Then maybe not a problem. On the other hand, people have damaged flues bashing them with firewood. I hear my pans bang and groan as I fill it or empty it, so the weight of the sap will change things in there. I'm guessing you've got a couple thousand dollars put into those pans vs. a few dozen dollars put into the board and bricks. It's also wide open and easy to work on right now. Personally, I'd take the bricks out. They are only needed in the firebox.

The mortar is not as strong as you think. It shouldn't do much damage to your board. Maybe I'm not picturing what you mean. Do you have mortar between the board and the bricks?

EBG18T
02-25-2018, 06:45 PM
Just test fit and it was a no go.

Just pulled out all the top side bricks for 40in of the 60 in of length. I did have mortar behind the bricks, so I pulled off some of the board with it.

So now I need to decide if Ill do more board along the sides or what?

Heres a picture-diagram of what I pulled out. I didnt have a better picture due to frustration. Lesson learned.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180226/7a5d958a593d05f14552c2439dcbeedc.jpg

DrewCP
02-27-2018, 07:20 AM
Just test fit and it was a no go.

Just pulled out all the top side bricks for 40in of the 60 in of length. I did have mortar behind the bricks, so I pulled off some of the board with it.

So now I need to decide if Ill do more board along the sides or what?

Heres a picture-diagram of what I pulled out. I didnt have a better picture due to frustration. Lesson learned.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180226/7a5d958a593d05f14552c2439dcbeedc.jpg

I have the CDL 18X48 flat divided. I also had issues bricking. Here is what I ended up doing. It was a pile of cutting but worked great in the end.