PDA

View Full Version : Temp. for Sugar on Snow.

Justin Turco
06-19-2007, 06:05 PM
I know it's in here somewhere, but could someone tell me the proper temp to bring syrup up to for sugar on snow.

We've got a box of snow in the freezer we are itching to use!

maplekid
06-19-2007, 06:36 PM
do you mean jack wax? i think it doesnt have to have heat just pour the syrup on and let it sit

Sugarmaker
06-19-2007, 08:59 PM
Justin,
We made syrup on snow for the Taste and Tour event in mid March and heated syrup to 232 deg F then poured on the fresh snow. Hope you can find some snow!:p

Regards,
Chris

HanginAround
06-19-2007, 09:21 PM
Maplekid, it has to be cooked well past the syrup stage, otherwise it will run right down through the snow.

Sorry, can't remember the temps but 232 sounds good if you want a pliable taffy... more common around here is a brittle candy, and I think that's at least like 240 but don't take my word for it.

cropseyvillemark
06-20-2007, 06:23 AM
We bring it up to "soft ball" on the candy thermometer.Seems to be just right.Be careful if you have any loose fillings in your teeth.

Jim Brown
06-20-2007, 06:47 AM
Forgive me for say this but I hope you guys can't fined and snow TODAY! First day of summer is tomorrow!

brookledge
06-20-2007, 03:54 PM
Another good way to do it is get it to softball or 232 like others said and then keep a little snow or ice next to the kettle. Keep checking it with a spoon. I the syrup runs into the snow and disapears then boil it another degree and try it again. The temp. varies on barometric pressure just as syrup does. It tastes better when it is nice and goey. So over boiling in my mind is a waste.
Good luck
Keith

3% Solution
06-20-2007, 07:50 PM
Hi Justin,
According to the North American Maple Producers Manual the temperature should be 35 - 40 degrees above the boiling point of water.
Now, from a personnal experience, DON'T STIR IT!!!!!!
It will turn to candy.
Just heat it up and ladle out what you want and ladle it quick.
Ole Morris Putnam laughed at that little mistake!!
Have fun.

Dave

Pete33Vt
06-21-2007, 03:45 AM
When I make it I run a little bit of butter around the rim of my pan to stop boiling over. Also I can use all of it even if it doesn't get used for sugar on snow. Take the leftovers and stir while letting cold water run around outside of the pan and you end up with maple cream. Works great for me.

SapSuckers
06-21-2007, 04:13 AM
try www.maplemadness.com for specific recipies for candy, cream, and sugar on snow

Justin Turco
06-21-2007, 06:29 PM
232 sounds good. A little butter around the edge. No stirring. You guys are ALLLLLLRIGHT!!!! Thank You.

Justin Turco
06-21-2007, 09:15 PM
MMMMMMMMMMM that was good.

When we were all done, my neighbor gave what was left a good stir, In about 60 seconds we had nice dry granulated maple sugar. (We must have been well past 232 at that point.) Nice stuff.