PDA

View Full Version : Induction cooktop for bottling?

EBG18T
02-24-2018, 07:26 PM
I was looking at possibly using an induction cooktop under my finisher/bottler instead of a propane stove. It looks like the better induction units allow you to set in 20deg increments from 140 to 460 deg. It seems like one of these set to 180 under a SS canner might work well. Thought?

Michael Greer
02-25-2018, 07:59 AM
We have a glass topped range here in my kitchen, and it is indeed a wonderful thing to cook on...very controllable and easy to keep clean. BUT, we boiled a pot of jelly one time, and burnt that sugar pretty badly on the surface. It actually fused to the surface and etched the glass. Out in the sugarhouse, I have an old gas range, and I spill and burn something every day. That mess can be cleaned up without any damage to the range. So try it, and let us know what you think.

Haynes Forest Products
02-25-2018, 08:41 AM
EBG will you be filtering after you bring to heat. I ask because I like the idea of that type off heating but they will boil liquids on the pan surface when you blast them on high. Will your plan be to start out slow and gradually build to your bottling temp?

amaranth farm
02-25-2018, 08:49 AM
Radio Silence.

SeanD
02-25-2018, 09:36 AM
I just learned about induction cooking just recently and I'm fascinated by it. Right away, I thought about how it could be used in sugaring. The main drawback to using propane for bottling is the hot spots right where the flames hit the pan. With induction, the whole pot is being heated evenly at the same time. If that could be controlled accurately then it seems like you'd have eliminated the problem of niter build up during bottling.

Question: When I use a steam pan with propane, the steam hitting the bottom of the pan is actually at 212F, but it's spread evenly and the syrup can absorb the heat evenly, right?

Haynes Forest Products
02-25-2018, 11:16 AM
Your correct BUT you don't have to always make steam. Its just a name that has been used to describe it. My water jacketed commercial coffee maker will have wisps of steam coming out the vent so I know I'm good on temp. Now they do make steam kettles that really cook nice.

EBG18T
02-25-2018, 12:01 PM
EBG will you be filtering after you bring to heat. I ask because I like the idea of that type off heating but they will boil liquids on the pan surface when you blast them on high. Will your plan be to start out slow and gradually build to your bottling temp?

I was planning on filtering right after I draw, then keeping the finishing tank warm on the induction burner till the end of day then putting everything into bottles. I pondered the coffee urn idea too.

Open to everyones ideas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

blaircountysugarin85
02-25-2018, 04:23 PM
Haynes what brand / model of water jacketed coffee urn do you have? I am trying to find one for bottling and can't find any that specifically state they are water jacketed and the used ones on eBay none of the sellers know if they are either.

Kettle Ridge
02-25-2018, 05:20 PM
This is our third year using induction cooktop for bottling. So easy, so portable, so inexpensive. We use glass bottles and haven't seen niter problems. Need to watch your temps because the unit doesn't do a good job at that. Just upgraded to a 3500 watt cooktop for faster heating.

blaircountysugarin85
02-25-2018, 05:38 PM
What temp do you set it at 180-190? This may be the way to go for me. I typically put my cone filter tank on top of the gas stove and try to keep the syrup around 180-190. I usually don't have a problem till the last few bottles worth in the tank. I may give this a try with my filter tank

Kettle Ridge
02-25-2018, 08:08 PM
We set for 180 if we are around to watch it, 170 if we are not. It tends to get hotter than the set temperature so to keep it below 190 we adjust to 170 or even 160 when we are bottling.

blaircountysugarin85
02-26-2018, 01:32 PM
From what I understand whatever you are cooking with needs to be magnetic for this to work. I have a stainless filter tank I will have to check to see if a magnet sticks to it or not

markgm
02-27-2018, 09:33 AM
Oddly my 304 stainless steel pots (Blichmann for beer brewing, they're not magnetic) work well on my 3500 watt Avantco induction burner.

EBG18T
02-28-2018, 06:39 PM
It turns out my 316 SS bottling container isn’t magnetic at all. So guess I’ll just have to use the propane burner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro