PDA

View Full Version : dark sap

michael marrs
02-24-2018, 09:16 AM
I was going to post a picture, but have not, I was out gathering, and have a group of 4 trees in one area all close together. all gin clear, but one, not quite coca-cola, but Tea for sure. my friend told me he had one , that he cooked seperatly, and it was bad and not to bother, which I had already considered but I just find it interesting. also , it did not smell or taste off

fisheatingbagel
02-24-2018, 10:33 AM
Probably rain water, or water running down tree into the bucket.

Hunt4sap
02-24-2018, 11:44 AM
I have made some really nice syrup with sap that way as long as I boiled it right away...
No off taste in sap, no off taste in syrup
I don't sell any, just for family
But I always pay real close attention to smell and taste as it evaporated...

zandstrafarms
02-25-2018, 05:40 AM
Interesting. Maybe a bug got into it? I've had "blue" tinted sap and yellow tinted sap, and 9 times out of 10 the yellow sap was up to 4% sugar content (compared to 2.5 or 3). If it's just a few gallons then cook it down in a big pot and taste as you go. Get halfway to syrup and if it tastes great them maybe consider adding it to your other stuff . . .

raptorfan85
02-25-2018, 06:02 AM
Is it the spile into bad wood? Or maybe just above some bad wood? That could make it run brownish too.

michael marrs
02-27-2018, 06:31 AM
I dumped the sap on the ground, and got responses from 2 friends. One said he cooked the batche he had, and it didn't tasdt right so he dumped it, the other , fully opposite.2 dys later , same tree same color, so I am guessing it is a tree thing., thanks guys

michael marrs
02-27-2018, 06:35 AM
Is it the spile into bad wood? Or maybe just above some bad wood? That could make it run brownish too. interesting, I have tapped this tree for 3 years without incident, i will try moving the tap thanks

blissville maples
02-27-2018, 07:26 AM
I was going to post a picture, but have not, I was out gathering, and have a group of 4 trees in one area all close together. all gin clear, but one, not quite coca-cola, but Tea for sure. my friend told me he had one , that he cooked seperatly, and it was bad and not to bother, which I had already considered but I just find it interesting. also , it did not smell or taste off I have found that old trees with Deadwood inside can stain the sap..... I only ever saw this when I was using buckets