PDA

View Full Version : how do you start?

firetech
06-19-2007, 02:03 PM
I would like to install some tubing for next year. I have no idea where to even start. Is there a source that can be "tapped". or is this one of those things you learn by trial and error? There are so many differt types of systems and componets. Would it be best to contact a producer in my state and go thur a system with them? What is prompting this is I just got permission to tap two wood lots with lots of maple (reds mostly) but they are in some low ground and I have no desire to wade in the mud up to my behind to collect in buckets or take in tractors/atvs. Also I would like to consolidate my road trees to few pick-up pionts as they are on a busy two lane road.

maple flats
06-19-2007, 04:06 PM
I learned what little I know by attending seminars. Here in the northeast there are several offered each year by dealers, and equipment manufacturers. Watch in your area for one to come up that you can attend. Look for tubing set-ups as you drive the countryside and find out who owns it, stop and talk. Find other members of this forum who may be close enough to visit them. I have never yet found a sugarmaker who would not share and show off what he has. Don't stop at one because you will get differing ideas from each you attend or visit.
There are also resources like the new North American Maple Producer's Manual that will also give you some ideas. After learning what you can, draw up your plan and do it. On flat land you must still keep a slope of 2' or so / 100' . If you plan vac you can use what is called sap ladders to get longer main runs.
Good luck

maplekid
06-19-2007, 04:55 PM
thre is a book that bascoms sells it daels with hanging tubing and it only cost $5 not including shipping

220 maple
06-19-2007, 06:07 PM
Firetech,
You need to attend a seminar. Brad and Bruce a father son team that works for Leader Evaporator does a very good one. I wish I had my system set up like they suggested at the last seminar I attended. Once you put lines in the woods it is costly to change. The good news is you are asking questions before you make the investment. It might be worth your time to see if there is a video available of one of their seminars. One of my maple tubing suppliers told me he is suspose to educate any purchaser of tubing the proper way to install for maximun production. And if its a large purchase of tubing he is suspose to go to the woods where it is being install and verifly that it is right, or make sure the buyer starts correctly. Check with your Maple equipment dealer in your area.
Mark 220 Maple

Sugarmaker
06-19-2007, 09:10 PM
Firetech,
Northwest PA is having a tubing seminar July 28 in Edinboro PA.
Last year was my first year with tubing. I made most of the first year mistakes and will have some redesign work to do. ( but I did buy some more tubing so most of the buckets will get a rest in 2008). If you can get the tubing up when the ground is frozen you may avoid a lot of the mud problems and should save some labor when you do get some good runs. Keep it tight and flowing down hill the rest will come. (one thing not to do is to heat the tubing to install the fittings, I found that on the soft brand I was using this allowed some of the fittings to come apart later.) Buy or borrow a tubing tool to install the fittings cold.)

Regards,
Chris

maple flats
06-20-2007, 08:18 AM
Chris is right, in fact try to avoid softer tubing, bacteria grows into it easier. In fact I only buy the rigid or hardest except I sometimes come up with some slightly softer for my drops, if I find it at a better price at a retiring sugarmaker (I do not ever buy used) , but when I buy from a dealer I get the rigid such as Lamb 30P. As soon as the season is over clean it and I also re-clean it just before the next season. To clean I like food grade peroxide because it leaves no residue to attract squirrels or other chewers, but others use chlorine, or just plain water. Pump it thru with water/cleaning solution and mix with air for turbulance. It workd good. Some use vac and suck the solution with the vac but I think this often leaves the upper inside wall untouched where pushing from the bottom get it all.

Dave Y
06-23-2007, 07:23 AM
Chris,
Could you get me info on that tubing seminar?

Dave

Sugarmaker
06-30-2007, 06:46 AM
Dave, and other traders,
A tubing seminar will be held in NW PA July 28-2007.
At Gary and Shirley Bileks (address and contact information below)
I believe this will be a tureen style lunch (Bring your own dish to pass)
Seminar to begin after lunch presented by Jim Cermak CDL dealer.

Gary Bilek
9225 Fillinger Road
Cranesville, PA 16410
(814) 756-4500
gbilek@nwsd.org

Regards,
Chris