PDA

View Full Version : 36 X 42 flat pan with 6" sides

Trapper2
02-23-2018, 02:11 PM

Is there a benefit (Boil rate) to only having 1" of sap in the pan opposed to the 3-4" that I usually have? I usually keep it around 3" all day long, just keep on adding to it. I think my boil rate is 7-8 gallons an hour.

Thanks, Trapper

maple flats
02-23-2018, 02:33 PM
The shallower the depth the faster it will boil, but also the closer to a big OhOh. You just need to balance the boil and the risk. Doing 1" in a 36 x 42 flat pan with only 6" sides may be a problem to go as shallow as 1", because it will boil so hard that sap will boil so violently that some will "jump" out of the pan. On my syrup pan the sides are 16" tall and I still get a very small amount shooting out, but not enough to want to slow it. Also, my sides turn in 2" at the top to minimize that. For a faster boil with the 6" sides I'd suggest you try reducing the depth gradually to see what works good for you. It might be 2", maybe 1.5" or maybe 2.5". only trying will answer that. In any case, as you go shallower, you are advised to keep a bucket of fresh sap to dump in fast if the boil goes from great to oops in a hurry.

Trapper2
02-23-2018, 02:41 PM
The shallower the depth the faster it will boil, but also the closer to a big OhOh. You just need to balance the boil and the risk. Doing 1" in a 36 x 42 flat pan with only 6" sides may be a problem to go as shallow as 1", because it will boil so hard that sap will boil so violently that some will "jump" out of the pan. On my syrup pan the sides are 16" tall and I still get a very small amount shooting out, but not enough to want to slow it. Also, my sides turn in 2" at the top to minimize that. For a faster boil with the 6" sides I'd suggest you try reducing the depth gradually to see what works good for you. It might be 2", maybe 1.5" or maybe 2.5". only trying will answer that. In any case, as you go shallower, you are advised to keep a bucket of fresh sap to dump in fast if the boil goes from great to oops in a hurry.

That makes sense to me, I think the biggest reason for me at the 3", is safety sake. I get drawn away emptying buckets at the tree and decide I need to look whats going on over the hill and when I come back I only have an inch left in the pan. A lot of times I'm alone and I find it easier to regulate at 3". I was just curious if the boil rate was the same.

tcross
02-23-2018, 02:58 PM
if you have a boiling over when trying to reduce the depth, you could always add some side panels out of some thin copper or stainless sheathing. just clamp it to the insides of what you got. might have to bend it a little to make it work, but would probably do the trick.

Troy D
02-24-2018, 01:13 PM
I agree with the above. I run as shallow as I can while watching my flat pan. It I am messing around in the yard I run several inches of sap. It for sure boils better when there is less in the pan for me.