PDA

View Full Version : Any use for sour syrup

themidnightsapper
02-23-2018, 10:38 AM
Due to some personal issues that came up, we were late getting our last run of sap processed. We run small batches and have about 1.5 gallons of syrup that has a "not so good" taste. Is there anything that can be done with this syrup or does it just need to be trashed?

amaranth farm
02-23-2018, 11:13 AM
Radio Silence.

buckeye gold
02-23-2018, 12:32 PM
I had this happen once and we kept it and used it only for a cooking additive. It worked as a sweetener and added maple flavor. That is assuming it isn't ropey or really bad tasting. If it is really bad you'll just have to toss it.

maple flats
02-23-2018, 12:45 PM
It should also be able to make sugar. Usually the higher temps in making sugar burn off the bad taste.

Road's End
02-23-2018, 05:43 PM
Got any pigs? We do, and they would love even the nastiest syrup!

Snappyssweets
02-24-2018, 08:53 AM
I was going to suggest candy or sugar.

The higher temps may solve some of the flavor. However I have to ask if its a sour taste or if its a molasses taste. If its Molasses you may want to just make maple molasses out of it. Great for baked beans and such.

Haynes Forest Products
02-24-2018, 09:06 AM
I have a friend that hunts my land and says even the deer don't like it. Was also told that it doesn't work as bear bait. So were back to feeding it to MIKEY.

themidnightsapper
02-24-2018, 12:59 PM
We just took a taste of it and calling it sour is probably not accurate. It is very strong, almost having a coffee taste, not something I think you would want on your pancakes. It is not ropey, has a very smooth texture, just like our other batches. Also probably our darkest batch.

buckeye gold
02-24-2018, 04:34 PM
It will cook just fine then. Use it for a cooking additive or glaze some nuts

Andrew Franklin
03-06-2018, 10:26 PM
I had a similar batch. I cooked it to sugar and it still tasted terrible. My wife did some research and made a maple scrub that smells great and she has friends buying at $10 for 3 ounces...selling what I would normally throw away at a higher profit than my syrup!

Galena
03-07-2018, 06:25 AM
We just took a taste of it and calling it sour is probably not accurate. It is very strong, almost having a coffee taste, not something I think you would want on your pancakes. It is not ropey, has a very smooth texture, just like our other batches. Also probably our darkest batch.

Some people LOVE so-called black syrup that tastes of those really strong flavours like coffee, molasses, burnt sugar etc...all of which are also found on the Flavour Wheel....see it at the bottom of the page of this link...

http://www.agr.gc.ca/eng/science-and-innovation/research-centres/quebec/saint-hyacinthe-research-and-development-centre/maple-syrup-flavour/flavour-wheel-for-maple-products/?id=1231363888838

But the idea of sugaring it down and selling it for use as an exfoliant (skin scrub) is also a brilliant idea :-)

Michael Greer
03-07-2018, 07:02 AM
I'd bottle that in small containers and label it "Maple Flavoring", and sell it for a higher price.