PDA

View Full Version : Is it me or is CDL getting bigger?

blaircountysugarin85
02-23-2018, 03:22 AM
Just food for thought but is it me or is CDL maple supplies getting big? I always bought leader because it was all I knew but I am learning they seem to be way overpriced and old school or don't seem to think outside the box. I purchased some CDL brand supplies this year and couldn't be happier. Pricing was very fair and they seem to have alot of new innovative ideas and are very high tech. Either I am just noticing it because I bought CDL this year or it seems like their products are everywhere now. Can't say as that's a bad thing!

nymapleguy607
02-23-2018, 05:24 AM
CDL has come on strong in the last 5 years I would say. They have opened multiple superstore around and have good independent dealer support. I used to be all leader, and now its changing to CDL, tubing from CDL is much more user friendly tha

Bucket Head
02-23-2018, 11:47 AM
I second Jeff on the tubing.

blissville maples
02-23-2018, 02:23 PM
CDL, fittings are much better for high vac as is their lateral lines, and cheaper...... You would think leader making all the money they do charging more for just about everything would put two cents into getting better for instance CDL maxflow fittings are smoother with no part lines and more leak proof then leaders. To boot every time I usually ders lateral line I swear at myself because it's harder to work with it seems. Although what I recently noticed about my operation is everything in the woods is CDL and when you get in the Sugar House it's more leader equipment except for my barrels because I do not like the side bung. CDL offers an account or you can pay once a month. But overall I find CDLs cheaper and as far as their tubing and fittings are much better

Road's End
02-23-2018, 05:58 PM
There is a CDL shop barely 10 minutes from my place so naturally I have gone with them for most everything, but yes they have some nice stuff.

Atgreene
02-24-2018, 12:05 PM
We were always leader, but I'm warming to CDL. Leader has 3 dealers in Maine, all at least 1 1/2 hour or more from me. Seems like CDL has a dealer at every other sugarhouse. They've definitely done a better job making it easier to buy their stuff. Leader needs to step up their dealer network and fitting options. They still don't make t's for 3/16 with 5/16 drops or endline hooks with dropline.

Haynes Forest Products
02-24-2018, 01:16 PM
When I started with my supplier 20 plus years ago they were Lapierre Waterloo Small dealer and that is what my pans are. Then I went to a maple conference in Green Bay 18 years ar so ago and went over to the guys selling That brand and they were very distant and glum when I asked where Roth Sugarbush and Garth was. I found Then across the convention hall selling this new brand called CDL. Know one seemed to be talking to each other.

When I turned both my finish pans into fire pits I sent them to Roth/CDL and they sent one off to CDL and they copied it exactly with a few custom ideas I had. Couldn't have been better to work with. Had a third one made and it was perfect.

I know its a game of build the brand and acquire others along the way. I know they picked up WestFab.

maple flats
02-24-2018, 05:16 PM
I think Leader used to be #1 in many areas, but they certainly are pricey. CDL just filled the void, as have a few other newer or newly expanded companies. Competition is a good thing.

mainebackswoodssyrup
02-24-2018, 07:45 PM
SOB's cost me another $300 this morning. But we're all tapped in and looking good in the woods.

EBG18T
02-27-2018, 08:22 PM
I am lucky to have a CDL master store 10 min from the house & the CDL rep lives here in town. They are easy to deal with and always return my text message or they stay late to let me pickup supplies. It’s that personalized service that keeps me going back!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

BAP
02-28-2018, 05:14 AM
CDL is like any of the other Maple equipment companies. They have good products and cheaper constructed products. Their tanks are the flimsiest built ones on the market but cheaper to buy.

n8hutch
02-28-2018, 06:53 AM
I don't know if I'd call the CDL tanks Flimsy but they definitely are not as robust as lappiere or leader, that being said almost everyone I know has them and has very little trouble with them. They Are what I'd call a good Value.

I agree with the guys that say they like the tubing better I have tried many kinds of tubing and like the CDL best so far.

I know that there are guys that buy from just one Dealer but I like to shop around and pick and choose my favorite products from each one in my area.

sapmaple
02-28-2018, 07:40 AM
CDL has certainly gotten bigger in the last few years One problem could be keeping up with service to their customers When sap broke loose this past week it took me three days to even talk to someone in the service department They did finally send a tech over and I was able to still use the RO with a leak so it wasn't life or death
Also the Canadian US dollar exchange rate hurts us in selling our syrup but it helps them in selling us equipment putting Leader in a tough spot
That said things could change down the road

Whitcomb Family Farm
03-05-2018, 06:41 AM
Just like Wall Mart. Their tanks are flimsy and the evaporators are made cheaply. I'll stick to leader evaporators and h20 ro's