PDA

View Full Version : bubbler

maplekid
06-17-2007, 04:02 PM
i was looking around and saw a bubbler online and i was wandering if these wuold help the evaporation rate any

220 maple
06-18-2007, 05:56 PM
Maplekid,
Bubbler, aka Air Injection
Maple season before last I tested something like it in my finishing pan, I was finishing some Grade C syrup. I used a small air compressor and some tubing with a T on the end that was in the syrup, Also attached a Stainless Steel washer to the T to keep it on the bottom of the finishing pan. When the temperture reached about 170 I started Injecting air. The bubbles that came up released steam. If I would have had some stainless steel tubing with holes and a air compressor with a good air filter system I believe I could speed up my finishing pan alot. I don't know if anyone is using Air Injection in a finishing pan or not. I believe the ones that are using them put them in their flue pan. I'm sure there have been discussion on this board about Air Injection, look under homemade equipment.
Mark 220 Maple

maplekid
06-18-2007, 06:10 PM
yeah what i was thinking is that you know when you stir something and the more air you put in the more steam comes out thats what i thuoght it would do. but are they worth the work?

Fred Henderson
06-18-2007, 06:41 PM
I have heard tell that it helps to make lighter syrup.

220 maple
06-18-2007, 07:09 PM
Maplekid,
Last Tuesday I stopped at my maple equipment supply dealer in Pa. I needed some quart jugs and a couple other items, He had a few 2nd edition Maple Syrup Producer Manuals left. I couldn't resist, 25 dollars but well worth it. Chapter 7 page 129 has some info on air injection, I will reword some of it for you because of copyright issues. Very little research done before the publication of this manual. Anecdotal reports of lighter syrup with reduced flavor intensity. Some producers report reduction of sugar sand. More reseach will be required. The Steam-away unit also uses air injection. Basically the same info you could get off the mapletraders message board.
Mark 220 Maple

maplekid
06-18-2007, 07:46 PM
fred what i haerd is that when it is in the flue pan it is set at the bottom and it keeps all the niter from settleing to the bottom while boiling so that it doesnt darken the syrup.but i dont like light syrup dark is far better and is more pungent in taste

Pete33Vt
06-19-2007, 03:53 AM
You might want to think of what will sell as far a syrup. Just because you like dark syrup doesn't me everyone you are trying to sell to does. You might end up with alot of extra syrup if you only try for dark. Also the darker your syrup the better chance for problems while boiling. Just my 2 cents

Fred Henderson
06-19-2007, 04:09 AM
It is better to have a variety of the different colors just like cars not everyone likes a Toyota.

lmathews
06-19-2007, 05:47 AM
I know 3 people that have them.They like them alot because it does lighten the grade.As far as speeding it up it does not.They all have said it slowed them down a bit.

maplekid
06-19-2007, 09:04 AM
alot of the people that got some syrup off me they like dark syrup. i dont think alot of people know that there is different grades there so used to buying that dark imatation stuff at the store. they just automaticley think to get the dark stuff instaed of trying other grades. i havent made any light so i really cant say that i like dark

Fred Henderson
06-19-2007, 10:31 AM
MK, When you get to a poinnt of producing 2000 gals your buyers will know the difference by then.