PDA

View Full Version : New Tapper - New Boston

carter
02-22-2018, 12:22 PM
So the year prior I tapped a few trees and bumbled my way around into making something I called syrup. I used a burner and lobster pot and did the best with what I had.

So this year I decided to go slightly larger scale but not to the point where I won't know what to do with the syrup. You could say I purposefully limited by production. I would have no idea what to do if I made 50 gallons of syrup...
So I bought a pan that could go on a simple two burner propane stove. Picked up a finisher/bottler and that goes on my single propane outdoor burner.

http://carterbrown.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/img_2902-1024x768.jpg

The only thing truly saving me is my home built RO machine. It's slow, processes about 5 gallons per hour when cold, but allows me to go from 1.5% - 2.5% sugar to 6% concentrate. That's been the huge time savior.

http://carterbrown.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/img_2898.jpg
Excuse the mess... Reorganization and winter storage of deck items. :(

Tapped 35 trees. All hanging buckets.

The first year I made roughly 1 gallon of finished product. So far this year, I'm a little over 2 gallons.

Photo from last nights run:

http://carterbrown.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/img_2977.jpg

I guess my goal is to keep learning, and trying to make as much syrup as I can using the limitations I have - but improving on them. I forsee the biggest improvement I can make is changing my heat source and/or doing inside a closed structure. The heat loss is huge and the amount of propane I'm using it pretty pathetic compared to my end production.

Lastly can't say I like the new grading system. I bet that's beating a dead horse around here, but I said it and got that off my chest.

lords sugaring
02-22-2018, 01:18 PM
Welcome to the addiction Carter. That's a pretty sweet looking rig for just starting out. First thing I'd do is get off the propane, I'm sure that's costing you an arm and a leg to run. I supplemented a turkey fryer after I boiled on my main pan a few years ago and I did that all of once when I blew through a tank of propane and still hadn't finished my syrup. You can build a cheap block arch and set that pan on it or build an oil tank arch that would still be fairly cheap, the sky's the limit in building something. You can also use pallets as a wood source, they're free for the taking just have to cut them up. I did the steam table trays my first year, bought a pan and reused the block arch the next year and built an oil tank arch during the off season. Finally took the plunge and picked up a manufactured 2x5 evaporator, took it for a test spin yesterday to get all the bacteria killed boiling what I had. All I can say is WOW, can't believe I didn't do this sooner

Hoppy
02-22-2018, 02:54 PM
You've got a nice setup and your syrup looks delicious!

So, 40 years ago I lived at the top of Joe English Rd in New Boston

carter
02-22-2018, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I completely agree that I see the propane holding me back. I blow through a full tank doing a run. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the heat loss and poor transfer of heat to begin with. I figure I can only do 2 or 3 gallons an hour the way it stands.

I've seen those evaporators with the flue and firebricks. They look nice! I'll see if I can't build something for it in the summer.

Hoppy: Joe English road is a hop and a skip away. I'm more or less just off of McCurdy myself.

bcarpenter
02-22-2018, 08:57 PM
Love the RO. We have a similar set up and are in Bedford, NH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Earthman
02-23-2018, 04:56 AM
Hi- I am in New Boston too. Up near the Transfer Station. Butterfield Mill Road. Stop by if you see the doors open and music playing. Good luck and welcome.

carter
02-23-2018, 12:14 PM
Great to know so many people are near by!

jwith
02-25-2018, 07:06 PM
The only thing truly saving me is my home built RO machine. It's slow, processes about 5 gallons per hour when cold, but allows me to go from 1.5% - 2.5% sugar to 6% concentrate. That's been the huge time savior.

http://carterbrown.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/img_2898.jpg

Love the RO. We have a similar set up and are in Bedford, NH

Do you have more detail on the RO system? We have about 11gph boil rate and I would love to increase our input to 6% after spending 30 hours boiling this weekend.

carter
03-14-2018, 08:53 AM
Sent you a PM jwith...

As for this season, it's like the season that will never end. Had a few really good running days this week before the snow storm. 2% sugar in the morning but only 1% sugar in the afternoon. I've processed the sap through the RO system and have about 30 gallons of 5.5% concentrate to boil down. Will do some boiling tonight.

I've made roughly 4 gallons of syrup since I've started. Figured I'll process enough for 1 more gallon of finished product and that's more than I'll need for myself and as give-a-way gifts... and an entry into the Hillsboro county fair.

If any local NH folks are reading, please consider putting an entry into the local fairs. I know the person who runs it and he would love to see more entries in the Syrup and Honey competition. Hit me up for details if needed.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4790/25880085537_57e5e8766e_c.jpg

carter
03-14-2018, 08:58 AM
Forgot to mention, that I'm going away on vacation for a short time (family vacation for only a week) but I'm considering pulling my taps this weekend. It looks like the season is going to continue... I can either leave the taps there and let it run on the ground if it runs and try and get some more when I get back, or should I just call it? I've gotten enough to be honest. I guess I can just leave the taps there, if it's still running when I get back and I feel like continuing, I can. If I don't, I can then pull them.

Decisions....

Wicked Sappa
03-14-2018, 11:07 PM
leave the taps and offer the sap to one of your nearby sappers ! you never know when they might return the favor of extra sap in a future season !