PDA

View Full Version : DE Cone Filter?

blaircountysugarin85
02-21-2018, 09:26 PM
Has anyone tried of had any luck using DE with a cone filter. I have a mason single cone filter tank and I typically produce 15-25 gallons of syrup a year. If anyone has tried this I would like to hear more about it. Thanks!

prairietapper
02-21-2018, 11:13 PM
I use cone filters and DE. but I run the syrup through synthetic cheese cloth before it goes into the cone. the DE is just to hard to get out of the cone in my opinion on top of the plugging issues. I just do it the way dad did, but at 5 am before I have brain farted and poured my syrup right in the cone with out prefitering. it did not work out so well.
Like all things mileage may vary. :) there very well could be some that have a method that works

blaircountysugarin85
02-23-2018, 03:17 AM
Ok sounds good. What ratio of DE do you add per gallon of syrup. I use the orlon cone filters but learned the hard way that prefilters help. Now I put the orlon in my filter tank and 4 or 5 prefilters on top of that. As the prefilters get clogged I just pull the one on top until the next gets clogged. Im assuming I could do it the same way with DE and the DE would hopefully not make it to the orlon filter.