PDA

View Full Version : Newbie in Northern Michigan.

m68maplesyrup
02-21-2018, 07:45 PM
Second year sugaring. Learned lots last year, but would like to stear clear of steamer trays and concrete blocks. Can get a 2x3 pan made up locally for about $300, with 2 dividers. Debating whether to make a concrete arch, or a barrel stove set up. Need to tap our trees soon, probably around 50 this year.

Approximate costs, pros and cons of each would be appreciated. Looked for a ready made setup, but all rather expensive. Thanks for your help.

By the way, if anyone from northern Michigan chimes in, we live near Indian River.

tlcfj6082
02-21-2018, 09:00 PM
I just acquired a similar pan that your looking for from the Vermont Evap co. It will be over a barrel that I’m building right now also. Just tapped 15 trees tonight as it’s the only free time this week until sat. I’m in TC area.

MISugarDaddy
02-22-2018, 05:07 AM
You might try calling some of the maple syrup suppliers (Sugar Bush Supplies in Mason; CDL of Michigan in Rudyard; Big Tom's near Ionia) and see if they have any used pans for sale. That would be a quick way to get a pan at a reasonable price. Let me know if you need any phone numbers for them. I am just north of Gaylord.
Gary

tlcfj6082
02-22-2018, 05:46 AM
I just acquired a similar pan that your looking for from the Vermont Evap co. It will be over a barrel that I’m building right now also. Just tapped 15 trees tonight as it’s the only free time this week until sat. I’m in TC area.

Sorry, forgot to put the link up. https://www.vtevap.com/store/p19/Sapling_Evaporator_Pan_-_IN_STOCK.html

m68maplesyrup
02-23-2018, 06:57 PM
Well, talking to a fellow co-worker, who tapped last year, but has remodeling project going on, so he has graciously offered to let me use his equipment - stove, pan, pails, storage tank, etc.

We've been looking and praying for something reasonable, and God answered our prayers. Picking up the equipment tomorrow afternoon, taps go in tomorrow morning. Weather looks good for the next 10 days.

Let the sap flow!

Cedar Eater
03-03-2018, 02:50 PM
How's your season going? We are starting to get the right weather a couple of counties southeast of you, so if you haven't tapped already, you should be able to start soon.